Travel and more temples


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Sukhothai
April 6th 2007
Published: April 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Pak Chong to Phitsunalok/Sukhothai


Sukhothai - Wat MahathatSukhothai - Wat MahathatSukhothai - Wat Mahathat

It's a hard life

Pak Chong to Phitsunalok/Sukhothai
Jason & Kirstyn O
After a great stay at Pak Chong it was time to brave the public transport system again, this time across and up to Phitsanoluk. While not that far in distance, it did take us all day to get there on our bus which was totally crowded but thankfully it had a/c (sort of) and we got seats. Found a great hotel which was cheap and had a TV (what luxury). Phitsanoluk was suprisingly a really nice place. It had a great night market which was very peaceful, not too touristy and a beer garden area where you could buy "towers" of beer (plastic tube with a tap to pour). We weren't game enough to have a crack with just the two of us! Lovely setting right on the River Nam. We had a rest day after our big journey and the following day were off to Sukhothai. Caught a special direct mini-bus which ended up taking 2 1/2 hrs to travel the 61km (multiple stops including getting fuel and going to Goodyear to get some new tyres!). Sukhothai was the capital of the Thai empire before Ayutthaya. Lots of temples to bicycle around and visit which was a fun day. The old city where the temples were was much more peaceful than Ayutthaya with little urban development and more of an ancient city ruins feel. Caught a bigger bus back that afternoon which only took 2hrs! Went back to the night markets and tried eating at a place where they spoke no english. We ended up just eating whatever came out which was our own little coal fire with boiling soup to cook a selection of meats (several unidentifiable) in with vegetables. Finished the night with a few quite drinks on the rooftop of our hotel.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

FBIFBI
FBI

A nervous wait for our bus to leave, was he on to us??
Our Unknown FeastOur Unknown Feast
Our Unknown Feast

Anyone for fish scrotum?
Bike ParkBike Park
Bike Park

I'm sure I parked here somewhere?


Tot: 0.352s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 22; qc: 104; dbt: 0.1164s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb