Our first jungle experience!


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Khao Yai NP
March 30th 2007
Published: March 30th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Ayutthaya to Pak Chong/Khao Yai National Park


Bat CaveBat CaveBat Cave

The Skywriter had one too many Beer Chang

Ayutthaya to Pak Chong/Khao Yai National Park
Jason & Kirstyn O
Took another local train...this time with a lovely two hour delay at a small village while we waited for the oncoming train to come through. Not happy to sit in the heat but very happy that we didn't have to meet that train further down on the single track!

Stayed at a great little Guest House in Pak Chong called Wildlife Safari which is run by a local family. Decided to take a tour into the National Park as we were not quite sure what to expect and we had read that you can get lost easily. Also the fact that there are wild elephants and supposedly tigers had some part of our decision process. The tour we did was for one and a half days and was well worth it.

On the first half day we visited temples and local springs for a swim with lots of other locals (school holidays over here at the moment). Then went back to a place on the side of a mountain where you can view millions of little Wrinkled Lipped Bats flying out of the cave. An awesome sight to see and hear so many bats at once and also the birds of prey hovering and picking off their dinner.

On the second day we went into Khao Yai National Park with the guide and his wife. The trip into the park was slow due to stops to look at the many monkeys, gibbons and squirrels on the way in as well as the amazing Giant and Wreathed Hornbills (thinking of you Brendan!). Did a few walks here in the park and had a swim at the waterfall out of "The Beach". Apparently our guide saw a bear in the tree but we couldn't make it out.

The highlight of the tour though was seeing a mother and three baby elephants in the wild. Incredible creatures to see up close, wild and not chained up. She was walking down the road to get to a salt lick further down. It was right on dusk, just as we were heading home and had all but given up hope of seeing a real elephant. We had to keep reversing out of the way as she wasn't going to stop for any cars! Finally managed to get around her..a great way to end our day.

The night markets at Pak
Flower Khao YaiFlower Khao YaiFlower Khao Yai

Apparently a native ginger
Chong were the best we have encountered yet and the town itself is the friendliest by far even though not many people spoke any English. In all, a great time and highly recommend Pak Chong as a lovely place to stay for a while.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

HornbillHornbill
Hornbill

Just to prove we saw them
Waterfall from movie "The Beach"Waterfall from movie "The Beach"
Waterfall from movie "The Beach"

For the movie they built an extension off the top and digitally changed the water colour...so it looks nothing like the real thing.. go figure
Wild Elephants!Wild Elephants!
Wild Elephants!

Not the best photo as was getting quite dark but proof none the less. We also took a video, will try and attach too.


Tot: 0.33s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 23; qc: 112; dbt: 0.1296s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb