Pai, and the Mae Hong Son Loop.


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Pai
January 17th 2011
Published: July 25th 2011
Edit Blog Post

From Phi Phi, we flew Air Asia up to Chiang Mai. (Air Asia is an amazing low cost airline. Why the US airlines havent picked up on their success and recreated it is beyond me.)

We then rode the 1st section of the Mae Hong Son loop to Pai, on the famed 762 curves, in the back of a tourist van. After spending a few days in Pai, we met up with friends we met at our hostel in Chengdu. Along with 3 other new travel buddies, we all headed out to Mae Hong Son on a few bikes and a pick up truck. After exploring life on the Burmese border, we vanned it back to Pai for a few final days before heading back down to Chiang Mai. The return van trip from Pai to Chiang Mai was quite possibly the worst leg of transit on the ENTIRE trip. (The flights to and from Lukla in Nepal were terrifying but in a different way). The driver didnt speak english, Matt almost threw up, and I nearly cried as the driver sped around curves at an astonishing speed. The entire van held its breath throughout the trip back to the city.


Additional photos below
Photos: 31, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.041s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0214s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb