Chapter 6: Week in Review


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Pai
June 27th 2008
Published: June 27th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Here's a brief look back at week 2 of our SE Asia adventures:

We drank Chang beer and ate peanuts as young children beat the crap out of each other for our amusement (otherwise known as Muay Thai boxing). This tourist trap took place during our short stay in Chiang Mai. We were told by some fellow travelers that it was quite amusing and something work checking out. They did warn us about the age of some of these fighters, but we did not expect that all 9-10 fights would be between contestants under the age of 18. It was pretty crazy. And I gotta say, the girls put on a much more convincing show. They were ruthless. Part of me felt horrible for willingly supporting the exploitation of these poor souls. But the other part thoroughly enjoyed our Chang-induced revelry and betting bhat on who would kick who's ass.

We saved a young golden retriever from imminent death! Okay, maybe the threat wasn't so severe, but we saved the bastard anyway.

We tilled the land like our farmer forefathers of yore. Well, maybe not my forefathers. Jews aren't farmers, we're financiers.

We drank Thai whiskey with some local Pai people. It's actually quite good.

We drank homemade tea in our bamboo bungalow at Tacomepai, which was heated on our homemade fire. Stoves are for pansies!

We hiked for almost two hours through the Pai jungle in search of a waterfall. We met some cows (who didn't appear to happy to see us) and some Dutch people, but never found a waterfall. So we hiked two hours back to our bikes. We were later told not to go to that waterfall because it's a three hour hike just to get there. Sweet, I think we could have used that information a wee bit earlier, eh? In the end it was still a fun and adventurous hike through a lush tropical territory.

We took a Thai cooking class in Pai. Twas awesome! We made pad thai, curry, vegetable stir fry and thom kha kai soup.

We at fried crickets (as part of the market tour in our cooking class). It wasn't all that bad. But it ain't no Torchy's either!

We ate breakfast at the same place in Pai every morning we were there (The Pai Country House). They had the most amazing fruit smoothies I've ever had!

We hung out two days in a row at a waterfall near Tacomepai which only required a two minute hike to reach the flowing fountain of joy.

We chilled at the coolest coffee shop I've ever seen (Amsterdam coffee shops don't count. Plus I've never been to Holland so I can't vouch for them). It's called "Coffee in Love". This place was absurdly beautiful. The first place in Thailand I'd seen that actually had grass. And finely cultivated grass it was. This place had a garden on the roof, and the most amazing view of the mountains and valley below. Words really can't express how captivating it truly is, so I'm going to shut up.

We partook in a cultural goulash of laughter and absurdity. By that I mean we sat in a rented room (which Nile called a "cinema") and watched Borat. To the naked ear this might not sound so absurd. However, I found it quite ridiculous that three guys from Texas (two of whom are Jews), a British girl, an Italian-Aussie and an Irishman were all sitting around in a small room somewhere in Thailand watching a movie about an anti-semitic Kazakhstani reporter who goes to America in search of Pamela Anderson. If that's not a cultural supernova, then I don't know what is!

Es todo.

*Once again the crappy computer I'm using is not letting my upload photos. I apologize for the inconvenience. If this bothers you, please contact the Laotian prime minister and chew his ass out.





Advertisement



1st July 2008

have you put up any D.O.H. support yet? Let me know how the 10,000 lakes/rivers? area in southern Laos is. Always wanted to go there. keep up the pilgrimage sir. cheers
hello?
2nd July 2008

What the hay?
So, I don't understand about the coffee shop. Is it an Amsterdam-type coffee shop? Is the grass on the roof smokable? Or, is it really a beautiful, normal-type coffee shop with grass growing on the roof? I can't wait until you get to a computer that will you upload your photos. I want to see them - and you. I buv

Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0454s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb