Chiang Mai


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Chiang Mai
August 14th 2006
Published: August 14th 2006
Edit Blog Post

We took a 4 hour plane ride to Bangkok and arrived at 810PM on August 13th. We tried to make the overnite train to Chiangmai by literally running to the train station (close to the airport) but could not secure tickets. We then elected to take the plane-a 55 minute ride that left at 1030PM and arrived at Chiangmai..where it was raining cats and dogs. We took at cab to the River View Lodge a very nice small lodge by the River Ping.

The rain stopped the following morning although it was still overcast. We rented a scooter at the hotel we stayed at and left after a delicious breakfast at our hotel for the Wat Doi Suthep . Wats are thai Buddhist temples. The Wat Doi Suthep is perhaps the most famous Chiangmai Wat and is located 1000 meters on a misty mountain with views overlooking the city. The road was a winding road up with plenty of hair pin bends, The traffic was light as this is a holiday in Thailand. Saturday August 12th was Queen Sirikeet’s Birthday. We arrive at the Wat a magnificent structure and spent close to 2 hours in the Wat enjoying the calmness and the spiritual energy of the place. We were blessed by the Buddhist monks and circumnavigated the sanctum sanctorum where there were numerous beautiful Buddha relics. August 14th is Kyles birthday and she was delighted to be spending it in such a manner.

We returned to the city by the afternoon and spent the rest of the afternoon visiting the citys innumerable Wats..they were beautiful. We also feasted on plenty of local fruit including guavas, rembutans and unripe mangoes with chili powder and sugar..!




Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



Tot: 0.041s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0208s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb