Elephants and Chiang Mai


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Chiang Mai
April 9th 2012
Published: April 11th 2012
Edit Blog Post

It is most amazing how fast the weather changes minute to minute here in the tropical mountains! One minute you are planning to go to the night market, the next, a freak tropical storm sweeps in and you are watching the streets become a river! Plan B: to the spa! (rough life!)

Yesterday, set out with our driver, Ari, to the elephant camps north of town. ari's son is a mixed martial arts fighter....anyway, he took us up to the Maetang elephant park...a well oiled machine! You pay, then elephant show (they sing, they dance, they paint pictures, they play soccer!) then on to the ox cart ride (???) to the elephants, who then ride you back to camp. Along the way, lots of opportunity to buy banana and sugar cane for 20B to feed your elephant. Of course they know where all the stands are, and try to steal the food when you walk past. On the dot of 12:00, lunch buffet is served, then a slow leisurely raft down a muddy river. Ari suggested we also stop to see the long neck Karens, refugee Burmese ladies who put brass rings around their necks to make their necks longer (apparently more beautiful). The price of the ticket was +++ and I couldn't see why....Ari said to support them (I think I was scammed!

Last night to the Sunday night market..caught in another freak storm, but short lived this time, and got brave with the street food. Ben ate something odd, and has a little Thai tummy today. Quiet day today by the pool.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.111s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0411s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb