Saturday in Chiang Mai


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Chiang Mai
May 20th 2006
Published: June 26th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Saturday, so Felicia didn’t have to work. Had breakfast at Grace. Got a songtaew up to Doi Suthep, which is where Wat Phrathat is located up on the top of a hill. It was beautiful up there, wanted to spend all afternoon there, it was to so peaceful and pleasant. We got blessed by a monk—we kneeled in front on him and he threw water on us, said some chants, and then tied a white string on each of our wrists (male monks cannot touch females, so he laid it on Felicia’s wrist and I tied it). We hung out at Doi Suthep for a while just enjoying the peace and tranquility of the surroundings. Got a songtaew up to Bhuping Palace, the Royal Winter Palace. I had to borrow a pair of pants since you can’t wear shorts into a royal complex. The actual residence is off-limits to the public, but you can tour the grounds—all flower gardens and landscaping. Walked up to the reservoir, which was quite odd—full of fountains and piped in music playing in the background. Left Bhuping Papace and headed back into town. Grabbed a beer at The Bierstube and went in search of Huen Phen for some traditional northen (isaan) Thai food. Along the way we found Wat Chedi Luang around dusk, and it was perfect light for viewing the structure. It was also dinner time for the wat dogs. Dinner at Huen Phen was excellent, and the décor is really nice too. Stopped at So Cool for a glass of wine and then headed back to the QVI to play pool and drink some more wine.


Additional photos below
Photos: 47, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.346s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 86; dbt: 0.1499s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb