Chiang Mai and the Night Sky


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Chiang Mai
November 18th 2011
Published: November 18th 2011
Edit Blog Post

So after a brief respite in Puerta Princesa, an overnight stop in Manila and a flight to Bangkok, I was in Thailand. Catching a local bus to the Democracy Monument seemed a far more cost effective approach then getting being politely shistered out of my money by the airport taxis who charge way above their products value. I got off the bus a couple of hours later to a familiar, somewhat uncomfortable, situation of being in a massive crowd of people. The best way to describe it was like being in a nightclub, in daylight, outdoors, with no music or alcohol! Fondly remembering the relative solitutide of the Philippines I managed to flag down a taxi to Tannon Khao San. The less said about Khao San road the better as I only spent about 40 hours there. The Thai massage was easily the best I have had in years, but that is about the only good thing I can say for the area. Chiang Mai was lingering in my thoughts and it was time to get back on the road.
For those that know anything about Thailand, Bangkok has been a problematic place in the past few years. Airport occupations, Red/Yellow shirt demonstrations, Military coups... the latest situation to affect Bangkok is the annual flood which had crippled Bangkoks transport system making the trains unviable and the buses crowded and delayed. Getting the overnight sleeper bus to Chiang Mai seemed a better way to avoid the traffic, but only just. For every 3 lanes open on the freeways, 2 were closed to flooding. While an adventure in itself, the bus arrived early the next day in tact and I set out to find my favourite Guest House "The Chiang Mai Inn GH" where I stayed in 2009. Not much has changed. The rooms are still crazy cheap, clean and at any given time there is about 10 young "Farangs" sitting around at the communal table having a beer and critically discussing the previous nights activities.
If one were to read the guide book, they would be fascinated to hear about the ancient temples eg Wat Doi Suthep, visit the famous night market, marvel at the old towns ruins, go to the Chiang Mai Zoo, do a 3 day Thai cooking course or mabye take in some of the thriving local and foreign art scene. However what really attracts me to Chaing Mai is the perfectly blended mix of Thai culture with western travel. Renting motor bikes for 200 baht a day, cheap, comfortable and clean accomodation, delicious food, more activities then you can poke a stick at, thriving night life, infusion of backpackers from every corner of the globe. What is truly remarkable, is that in more than any other place, people escape from their lives at home and just live to have fun. There are very few people unhappy in Chiang Mai. You could walk up to 50 different people and introduce yourself and no less than 45 would shake your hand with a smile and their offer up their own name and regale you with tales of their past. Can you imagine trying that at home? Further, you can walk through the whole night market without a single person trying to force their tshirts, watches, food etc. on you. I havent had one person trying to sell me a suit in Chiang Mai yet. Given enough time I would have gladly punched one of the Khao san road sales men in the face for their general sales approach. Possibly the rudest sales people I have met since Fitness First was trying to expand! None of that makes it anywhere near Chaing Mai though. Everybody is so relaxed and calm. Its a plesant place to shop.
On my first night there, it just so happened to be the first night of "the festival of light" where the locals and guests release flaming lanterns into the nights sky in a gesture to the spirits (I never explored the purpose much). To look into the nights sky, one would find a milky way of low flying satelites that had caught fire. Truly beautiful looking up into the sky from the roof of the guesthouse and just admiring the gifts to the nights sky. The lanters do, of course, fall to the ground as time develops as well as drop hot parrafin wax, as Mary found out. Some people leave Chiang Mai with a post card as a souvenir. A nice scar for a souvenir is a much better option in my view lol
Something I have discovered more this time round, is that there really is alot of Reggae bars popping up around in Asia. I have been to a good 6 different reggae bars in the past 3 weeks. Despite the lack of variety, each bar has an amazing band pumping out some of their own creations and as much Bob Marley as people can reasonably handle for one night. For those looking for a fun night out in Chiang Mai, Rooftop bar is way chilled out... too chilled to provide any chairs so everybody sits on the bamboo floor that feels like it is about to break. Rasta Reggae bar and Brasserie both offer live bands and a good excuse to bust a move. Spicys seems to be the resident after hours night club. I hear there are others alternatives here but I certainly didnt find them! There is a famous saying the Thailand... "Same Same, but different". It could not be truer for each night out in Chiang Mai. 5 nights out until 4 in the morning do catch up with you and Im beginning to feel as though im not 20 anymore. While sitting around with the Cadburys favourites group of travellers I have ammassed in the past week, an idea grew into a reality that everyone should make a trip out to a little town west of Chiang Mai called Pai. A chilled out little hippy town apparently. 170 baht on the bus, only a few hours drive. Couldn't possibly fail... Pai here I come?

Advertisement



Tot: 0.112s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0823s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb