Journal day 14 - Chiang Mai.


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Chiang Mai
February 18th 2011
Published: February 21st 2011
Edit Blog Post

The night train pulled into Chiang Mai station at 9:45.
My new friend from the train journey Melissa decided to join me for today as she had no firm plans and was happy to hang out for a bit.
I had a Taxi pick up arranged at the station so it brought us both into Chiang Mai to my Hotel, The Winner Inn.

So once checked in off we went to see Wat phra that doi suthep temple complex. It just happened to be the important annual religious festival 'Buddha Day' so it was a very special day to see temple. It was therefore also very busy but that didn't spoil the experience as the bulk of people there were actual practicing Buddhists so we were able to watch them practice their prayer rituals and try to do like-wise.
The ceremonial rites seem to be taking a lotus flower and some small candles and walking around the large, golden central bell shaped object 3 times and making your wishes to the main Buddha which is hidden within this central object. After making your desires clear to the Buddha you then light your 3 candles and place them along the perimeter along with the lotus flower as a gift to Buddha. As we didn't really know what we were doing we respectfully tried to copy what everyone else was doing. Think we pulled it off ok but I'm gonna look a bit like a tourist nomatter what I do. Melissa seemed to know a bit more about what was going on.

The Temples were beautiful and it was quite a spiritual experience. The temples at either end contain Buddhists who tied a string around our wrists as good luck charms.

Back down to Chiang Mai and walked around with Melissa, seeing a bit of the city. It's very different to Bangkokm far less chaotic and I imagine a more pleasant place to live.

We got Ate dinner and then went to see a night of full comtact Muay Thai fighting with at Thaphae stadium near the Thaphae Gate entrance to the Old city area of Chiang Mai.

The Kickboxing was more of a cultural experience than expected. Very ceremonial, technical and respectful... up to the point were 4 fighters were blindfolded in the ring and blindly beat the crap out each other. fights started with what seemed like 8 year olds and each fight had slightly older, heavier fighters up to the Superfights at end of night. One between 2 ladies and the other between 2 titleholders. Very Technical 5 round title fight. Tight.

After the fighting we walked around Chiang Mai's 'Night Market' and back to Hotel.

A great day and it was good to have some nice company.
Up early tomorrow for 3 days of trekking in the jungles north of Chiang Mai.

Link to Pictures: Wat Phra That Doi Suthep Pics

Link to Pictures: Chiang Mai & Kickboxing Pics


Advertisement



25th February 2011

your trek!
hi andy, we came across your blog while researching longnecks on google. it seemed you had a better experience than lonely planet makes out that the average tourist would have, something that concerned us too. my wife and i are in chiang mai at the moment and was looking at tours either here or at chiang rai. if you could let me know the company you booked the tour with it would be a great help for us as the choice, as you know, is ridiculous and we would love to look into it more good luck with the trip anyway! kiley
3rd March 2011

Good Trekking Guide.
Hi Kiley & Jamie. I booked mine through the travel agency at my hotel in Bangkok and although the agent had planned it well. But everything ended up being swapped and changed about during the trek as I was the only person starting that day to do the 3 day. So things happened in a different order than expected. But luckily I got to do everything at some stage. But on my first day I had a very good guide who was easy to talk to and very informative. He runs his own tours as well separately where the tribes get more money and help than on the travel agent ones (where the agents get most of the money). I would recommend that you contact Tony (the trekker). His email is: to_nyland@hotmail.com And he has a webpage: https://sites.google.com/site/tonysadventurestours/ I think he'll give you a good trek and lots of info on the Longneck Karen tribe and everything else too. If you contact him, tell him Andy from Ireland sent you, ha! Have a good time!

Tot: 0.132s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0535s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb