Sukhothai & Chiang Mai Eye Candy


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Chiang Mai
November 22nd 2010
Published: November 22nd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Jamie is pestering me for the lack of "quality content" in these blogs. Sorry friends- the content is in the captions. If you want to hear more stories, we'll have to meet up and swap stories in person.

We are in Chiang Mai, northern Thailand, as I post this awaiting two more fellow RPCVs (Returned Peace Corps Volunteers) from our group to join us. We'll have about another week here before busing to Cambodia for about a week and then it's on to Taiwan to visit some of Sandy's extend family who live there.

Enjoy the turkey and stuffing for us; we'll have to get our long awaited does of that cuisine at Christmas. Cheers!


Additional photos below
Photos: 41, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Blessed TaxiBlessed Taxi
Blessed Taxi

The writings above the driver's head are Buddhist protection mantras.
I SpyI Spy
I Spy

Can you spot the Vanuatu flag in this random conglomeration of patches found at a night market stall?
Sukhothai Historical ParkSukhothai Historical Park
Sukhothai Historical Park

In Sukhothai, we toured the historical park on bicycles. This picture and the following 10 are from that park.
Field TripField Trip
Field Trip

Kids on a field trip to Sukhothai Historical Park. I loved their uniforms - hot pink and purple wind suits!
Buddha with hand touching groundBuddha with hand touching ground
Buddha with hand touching ground

Buddhas in this position symbolize when the Buddha called the earth as his witness to testify that he is ready for enlightenment.
Massive BuddhaMassive Buddha
Massive Buddha

We hiked up a steep, sunny hill to check this one out.
Buddha with hand extendedBuddha with hand extended
Buddha with hand extended

In this pose, the Buddha is showing a sign for fearlessness
DessertDessert
Dessert

Manioc balls in coconut milk - kindy like soggy cereal
Orchid FarmOrchid Farm
Orchid Farm

The first stop of a 3 Day/2 night trek we took outside of Chiang Mai.
Trekking in northern ThailandTrekking in northern Thailand
Trekking in northern Thailand

Our trek was more intense than we anticipated, but we're rugged enough that we all 3 faired just fine.
Bamboo BungalowBamboo Bungalow
Bamboo Bungalow

Our sleeping set-up in the Long Neck village. Many of the materials used for houses here are reminiscent of Vanuatu.
Olfala MusicianOlfala Musician
Olfala Musician

A bamboo and gourd flute that the medicine man played for us the first evening of our trek.
Long Neck TribeLong Neck Tribe
Long Neck Tribe

Refugees from Burma, this tribe's women wear rings to elongate their necks starting at age 7.


22nd November 2010

Ah! I love the photos, I just miss your witty, informative narratives. That being said, I'm happy you're experiencing these travels fully. In my humble opinion, bloggers that stop frequently to record events often miss other events. Life it up! Your faithful readers will have to be patient and wait until you're home. Speaking of which, I'm SO excited to see you!

Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.063s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb