Chiang Mai


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Chiang Mai
March 15th 2005
Published: March 15th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Wet LizzieWet LizzieWet Lizzie

Apparently there is water under the bamboo rafts!
Chiang Mai is my favorite city in Thailand. We got here yesterday after 6 hours on the bus which included the lovely entertainment of a 2 hour loud Thai movie which kept us well awake. After taking a tuk tuk from the bus station we were told that the guest house we wanted to go to was full, which has never happened to us before. Good thing is that the next guest house was about 50 meters down the road and we settled in there. We also booked us a tour for the next day for a day of hiking, elephant riding and bamboo rafting for about 700B - 15 euros. But after that we went shopping. this is the first activity in chiang Mai that everyone does, goes to the night bazaar or somewhere else and buys as much as will fit into their bags. Notice I did not say as much as they have money for, because that is not really a problem. Everything is so cheap that space in bags runs out exponentially faster than money. After spending about 3 hours there I felt well stocked up for my return home. Among other things I bought very nice sunglasses and two great very light peasant-type shirts, one of which is clearly handmade. I was very happy there and also enjoyed the bargaining procedure. It goest like this: you come up and ask how much something costs. They name a ridiculous price (we dont know how much things are supposed to cost, but we know they are asking way, way too much for it). You look shocked and they immediately say one of - "I give you special discount/ first time customer discount/ or less, only for you" and name a lower price. Or they tell you to name a price. I would usually ask about half what they said in the first place or if we had already seen other similar things and knew how much they were used that. A couple of times they did not want to come down in price to where I was ready to buy and I just turned around and walked away. But in both cases they came running after and agreed to my price. I was very satisfied and tired after that and we went home, stopping to eat sort of a crepe with chocolate sauce on the way.

TODAY: ONE OF THE BEST DAYS EVER

we got up early and had breakfast and then headed out with our guide Cha who is one of the owners of our guest house and the other participants of the trek, an australian family of 4 and two british girls. We drove for about an hour stopping in two places to give officials a list of who was going on the trek, in case someone gets lost or something. We spent the time chatting amongst ourselves in the truck. the australian family with the 13 and 15 year old kids are on a year long trip basically around the world. The english girls are also travelling all together for 9 months after finishing university. In fact this seems to happen quite often here in Thailand that the people are doing this as part of a very long trip. I felt kind of jealous, but I dont know if I would be ready to do something like this for a year - no own bed or stuffed animals, the same 5 t-shirts, never a home cooked meal? Maybe I am too materialistic, but...

After we arrived in the 'jungle'as flo likes to call it we hiked up a very, very steep mountain side for about 40 minutes. It was a very nice hike, but I am bit untrained for something like that. Have to practice more because after our Thailand trip I have realized I really enjoy hiking. anyway, at the top of teh mountain there was a village of a tribe from China which has settled there many years ago. In fact around chiang Mai there are many different tribes that are usually from other countries. But I did not really enjoy looking at the village because although the people actually lived there I felt it was not authentic because they get so many tourists. But in a way it is because they live mostly from the orchards that are on the side of the mountain we climbed up. But since it is the hot season they do not really pick fruit now and sell more handicrafts that they also make there. It was after visiting the village that I realized how overpriced even the super cheap bazaar was. They had some of the very same things but again half as cheap as in the city.

After a much more pleasant walk down the hill we moved on to the next part which was elephant riding. the elephants carry a seat on their back for two and the driver sits on the elephant's head. The australian kids even got to sit on the elephant himself and the boy got to steer the elephant. To tell the truth I felt insecure enough sitting on that seat so I was happy our driver did not offer us that possibility. As an extra bonus we got elephants that had babies, and since they do not leave the sides of the mothers the whole time the two babies accompanied us on our ride. It was amazing because I felt for a while sure that the big elephants would step on the little ones becuase they kept so close, but of course no one got stepped on. As the photo of the sign shows it was encouraged to buy bundles of bananas and sugar cane to 'make friendly with the elephants'. the impressive thing was that the elephants ate the whole, quite sizeable bundle in one thing. But later on the way there were more stations, set in huts on tall legs where we bought more and then we fed the elephants piece by piece. the best part for me was when while crossing the river the littlest elephant decided that he absolutley had to bathe and completely submerged himself in the water, diving. Then the bigger one decided to join in. And after the littler one came out of the river completley wet he decided that now he was too wet and threw dust all over himself until he was dirtier than before. Children!

After lunch we headed to a waterfall which was nice and cool. I tried to swim there but it was very hard because the current was incredibly strong. After battling with it for a while I gave up and had to hold on to a rock not to be carried away. After looking at the village of another hill tribe and seeing how they weave we headed to the last exprience which was bamboo rafting. They take a bunch of huge bamboo sticks and tie them together. then the guide stands at the front with a stick and because we were four on the raft one of us had to also help in the back. good thing Flo took over the job. Well, until he went a bit wild with the water. But as the guides there say 'no wet, no fun' and we had lots of fun by starting a water war. Great day, very tired and happy. Tomorrow we are going to look a bit more around Chiang Mai and are heading back to Bangkok on the overnight train.





Gestern sind wir nach 6h Busfahrt und einigem Durcheinander in Chiang Mai angekommen. Und das war nicht so einfach. Wir mussten fast 2h auf den Bus warten, da bei dem Bus den wir eigentlich nehmen wollten "der Finger gebrochen war" (wahrscheinlich die Achse oder die Kupplung,...) Als dann endlich der naechste Bus kam wollten die uns (und viele andere Touristen) nicht mitnehmen, weil das kein staatlicher Bus, sondern ein privater Bus war und wir und alle anderen natuerlich Tickets fuer den ersten Bus gekauft hatten, der zu einer anderen Gesellschaft gehoert. Nach langem hin und her und 10 wiederspruechlichen Aussagen konnten wir dann unsere Tickets doch irgendwie umtauschen und den Bus nehmen. Die Fahrt war dann eigentlich sehr angenehm, abgesehen von der unglaublichen Hitze im Bus.

In Chiang Mai haben wir ein sehr nettes Hostel gefunden mit sehr, sehr nettem Personal und das Zimmer ist auch ok. Fuer den Abend hatten wir uns vorgenommen "mal zum Nightbasar" zu gehen. Wie sich schnell herausstellte war das doch sehr naiv von uns! Der Basar ist einfach riesig! Er zieht sich ueber mehrere Haeuserviertel und es gibt einfach alles zu kaufen, und die Preise erst...mmmmmh!!! Ich hab gestern ca. 15Euro ausgegeben und dafuer hab ich dann zwei Shirts, eine Hose (sehr schicke Fischerhose zum umbinden, die die Ausmasse eines Zelts hat und trotzdem irgendwie passt), nagelneue FlpFlpos, eine Halskette und eine (natuerlich unglaublich coole) Sonnenbrille! Lizzie hat sich auch ganz viele verschiedene Sachen gekauft. Unter anderem auch ein Shirt, eine Sonnenbrille, eine Tasche, usw.! Man kommt da an fast keinem Stand vorbeiEntweder man will selber etwas kaufen oder der/die Verkaeufer/-in faengt sofaort an mit einem zu reden ("here, T-Shirt for you"; "beautiful watch, you want Rolex?"; "Hello, where are you from?) Und wenn man dann was kaufen will, dann faengt der schoenste Teil erst an. Zuerst fragt man "How much?" und der Verkaeufer nennt natuerlich einen deutlich ueberhoehten Preis. Danach musst du erschrocken wirken und einen deutlich niedrigeren Preis nennen (wobei da das Problem ist, dass man eigentlich keine Ahnung hat was das Zeug wirklich wert ist. Aber da die Preise mit z.T. 50% weniger als in Bangkok sowieso total niedrig sind ist das nicht so schlimm). Danach nennt der Verkaeufer wieder einen neuen Preis ("Special discount only for you") und man einigt sich irgendwo in der Mitte. Wenn man sich nicht genau einigen kann und dann weggeht kommen die einm sogar nachgelaufen...! Das macht richtig Spass! Vollgepackt mit Sachen sind wir dann auf dem Heimweg in einen mega Regenguss (jawohl Regen, wir konnten es auch nicht glauben!) gekommen. Innerhalb von Sekunden waren wir total nass, sind aber trotzdem gut in unserem Hostel angekommen.

Heute haben wir einen Daytrip gemacht. Wir waren eine schoene kleine Gruppe, ausser uns waren noch zwei Englaenderinnen ungefaehr in unserem Alter dabei, und eine australische Familie mit Tochter und Sohn, die gerade fuer ein Jahr quer durch die Welt reisen(!) und natuerich unser Fuehrer. Zuerst sind wir ein Stueck aus Chiang Mai herausgefahren. Dann sind wir ca. 1 1/2h zu einem Hilltribe gelaufen und wieder zurueck. Wie der Name schon sagt mussten wir auf einen Berg rauf und der Weg war fast senkrecht un deine unglaubliche Hitze dabei! Die Hilltribes sind Bauern, die urspruenglich aus China kommen und desshalb auch ihre eigene Sprache haben. Nachdem sie vertrieben wurden haben sie sich in Thailand angesiedelt. Sie leben noch so ein bisschen wie frueher von der Landwirtschaft, ausserdem stellen sie viele kleine Sachen her die man kaufen kann, z.B. Holzspielzeug oder sehr schoene gewebte Stoffe.
Anschliessend haben wir einen kleinen Ausflug mit Elefanten gemacht, sprich wir sind immer zu zweit auf einem Elefanten geritten. Das war sehr schoen und beeindruckend. Es ist zwar nicht viel sonst passiert, aber alleine schon auf einem Elefanten zu reiten ist ein Erlebnis! Natuerlich durften wir die Elefanten auch fuettern. Auf dem Weg gab es verschiedene Stationen wo man sich Bananen und Zuckerrohr kaufen kann um die Elefanten zu fuettern und die wissen natuerlich genau wo die Stellen sind! Ich glaube das hat allen viel Spass gemacht.
Nach einem guten und reichhaltigen Mittagessen (endlich nochmal gebratener Reis...!) waren wir bei einem weiterem Hilltribe. Auch dort konnte man sehen wie die ungefaehr gelebt haben und kleine Sachen kaufen.
Danach kam ein weiteres Highlight des Tages, wir haben Bamboo-Rafting gemacht. Das waren einfach sieben oder acht ca. 7m lange Bambusstangen aneinandergebunden. Vorne stand der Guide und hat gestochert und hinten Stand auch jemand der gestochert hat. damit man um die vielen Felsen und durch die Stromschnellen herumkommt. Bei uns sassen in der Mitte drei Leute und ich durfte hinten stochern. Da muss man sich erstmal dran gewoehnen, barfuss und halb unter Wasser auf so ein paar Bambusstaeben zu stehen, zu versuchen dass "Floss" zu steuern mit einem Stab und dabei nicht das Gleichgewicht zu verlieren.Aber das hat wirklich sehr viel Spass gemacht, vorallem da das Motto "no wet, no fun" lauutete. Dementsprechend kamen zumindest Lizzie und ich doch relativ feucht unten an...!

Damit ging ein wirklich schoener Tag zu ende. Morgen haben wir noch einen halben Tag in Chiang Mai, bevor wir mit dem Nachtzug nach Bangkok zurueckfahren.

Advertisement



28th March 2005

Wow!
I have a very very very beautiful sister! Wow! - Rie

Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0534s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb