On Bathrooms


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Chiang Mai
March 29th 2006
Published: March 29th 2006
Edit Blog Post

This may not be for the light stomach. In Asia there are two types of toilets: the asian squatter, and the one were used to. They call it in Thai the "Farang" toilet. Farang meaning foreign. A study was conducted to see which toilet was better for you and it came down to incontinence during your later years. The squatter allows the elderly in Thailand to remain continent whereas the foreigners must resort to diapers. For some reason the elderly Westerners who wear diapers are better at crossword puzzles and are more up to date with current events. Not sure if this has anything to do with the squat/sit study but its interesting nontheless. So choose your destiny. Most likely you won't have to change your own diapers anyways.

Another thing on bathrooms. The standard set up here is a removable shower head, almost allways near the toilet, for you to use for showering. The shower floor is the bathroom floor. Which is fine but the toilet allways gets wet, along with the sink, the toilet paper and the walls. One benefit of having the shower and bathroom floor as the same is that when you plan on showering in the near future you can just walk into the bathroom and pee on the floor. Don't do this if you don't plan on showering. So you can stand at the sink while shaving and pee. Very convenient. This morning I was in alittle bit of a hurry so while I sat on the toilet I removed the shower head hose and showered while sitting. It was great. Killed two birds at once. It was like releiving myself under a waterfall. Fantastic!

The last thing is the hose. Most toilets can't handle toilet paper. So you use a small garden hose next to the toilet. Its great at keeping bugs away from your feet while you sit, or if anyone walks in on you, you can spray them off. Haven't totally mastered it yet because sometimes when I leave the bathroom the back of my pants are a little wet.

Jim

Advertisement



Tot: 0.217s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.1355s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb