Delhi to Rishikesh


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Uttarakhand » Rishikesh
April 6th 2006
Published: April 6th 2006
Edit Blog Post

I'll try to make this as uplifting and positive as possible but right now Im getting over a serious war with the toilet. After many attacks the bowl resisted and concessions are finally being made. Melissa has just taken on the fever part of the flu, aka travelers bug, and is now in bed sleeping it off. We got it from a vendor who sells mint and lime sodas that he prepares on the street, there supposed to heal the soul or something. I guess I needed a lot of soul cleansing. Luckily we bought some generic cipro while in Thailand and it has settled the bacteria party in our stomachs.

So now we are taking it very easy on the foothills of the himalayas in Rishikesh, the yoga capital of the world. The town is perched on limestone cliffs that color the water below a greenish tint. The river is the Ganges, the holiest river in India. Every morning there is puja on the river and at night a sundown festival. Many Indians pilgrimage here to celebrate their holy rver.

The other day Melissa and I ran into some Indian travelers who seemed like they had never seen a foeigner before. We stopped the old women in mid stride and her middle aged son bumped into her back, the son laughed and said in Hindi, shake their hand its ok, or something of that sort, the woman squeezed my hand and then moved onto melissa and put her hands on her face, like a grandma does, saying "very happy". It was sweet, the other family members did the same but were not as impressed as the old grandma.

I have to say that I'm a little discouraged. So far the family previously mentioned has been the only Indians that haven't had hidden intentions for money. Even the young guy in Delhi who swore he just wanted to practice his english a little and then after 10 minutes I had to blow him off by saying, "No I Will Not Go Into Your Shop!" I can expect it in Delhi, but thought in Rishikesh things would change alittle, but it hasn't. On the other hand we've been in bed for two days and haven't had a chance to weed past it. I guess if you go to a touristy area you should expect it.

We look forward to a long trek in the himalayas, I hear the mountain people are friendly and of course the mountains are incredible. Right now we are just at the foothills which are small, 2-3,000 feet but rugged like the rockies.

Ok, Im going to bring some Ice cream up to Mel, She should be better by tommorow. Computers are slow and uploading pics is nearly impossible but we'll try and find a place soon.
Miss you all
Jim and Melissa



Advertisement



Tot: 0.146s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0795s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb