Final Leg ....Chiang Mai


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Chiang Mai
November 19th 2009
Published: November 22nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Wat Chedi LeungWat Chedi LeungWat Chedi Leung

Just across the road from 3Sis

Chiang Mai 19th to 23rd November 2009



Took a flight from Bali to Bangkok then straight on to Chiang Mai arriving at 8.30pm. AirAsia is a great airline and the prices are amazing but the food is ...... something else. Sadly we had pre-booked (and even more sadly paid for) a cooked meal on both legs of the journey!! We would say no more except that we have another to look forward to on the way home!!!

Neither of us was really sure what to expect of Chiang Mai except that we could take a trip to see some elephants and take some other trips to the hill tribes etc. but actually Chiang Mai is a really nice, easy place to be in. Also it is thankfully only about 28C and not humid. We love it already!

3 Sis Hotel is very nice. Owned and run by .... you've guessed it? It is right in the centre of the old walled town. The old town has the feel of a small village almost. There are loads of backpackers places, hotels, restaurants and shops etc but in the old town at least, the eating
Wat Chedi LeungWat Chedi LeungWat Chedi Leung

City Pillar
places shut at 8.00pm. As we arrived at 8.30 it was just as well we had enjoyed our Air Asia fare!! LOL!!!

You would think by now we would have had an elegant sufficiency of Temples and Wats but we have been delighted by the ones we have seen so far. The best of all, the Wat Chedi Luang and Wat Pan Tao next door are directly opposite our hotel.

'Wat' more could you want???

We went exploring on the first day and came across 3 million school kids (well teenagers really) all congregated at the Tha Phae Gate. Complete with marching band, sweeping brushes, dustpans and litter-pickers. It appears that they were setting out to clean-up Chiang Mai. Kids being kids the world over, some were working like trojans and others thought it a great lark or a total embarassment. But at least they did it!!! Took me back to my days as an 'environmentally aware' Head teacher!!! Good for the schools I say (Annxxx).

Following them, we came across another temple, Wat Bupparam. The wat itself was beautiful but it was surrounded by lovely gardens filled with statues of wild animals, like a model
Watt BupparamWatt BupparamWatt Bupparam

Donald Duck eating noodles in the garden outside the wat????
zoo. However the crowning glory had to be a life size Donald Duck eating a bowl of noodle soup with chopsticks!! Weird or what????

Day 2 we booked an all day Thai Cookery course. We used the Asia Scenic School (www.asiascenic.com) and had a great day. There were 10 of us in the class and we made 7 courses (ate 5 and took 2 home in a doggy bag). We met some really nice people, 4 Irish, 1 French,1 Canadian, 1 Belgian and 1 Japanese and us. Thoroughly recommend this school though there are many to choose from here. They promised to put some photos on their web-site so if you are really sad you could take a look!!

It never ceases to amaze us how many girls back-pack and how many do it alone.

Tomorrow off to see the elephants and then only one day left before we head bck home to Spain and Ollie ........



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Chiang MaiChiang Mai
Chiang Mai

Monk at work
Chiang Mai Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai

Parayer flags at monastry
Chiang MaiChiang Mai
Chiang Mai

Garden gnome ChiangMai temple style
Wat BupparamWat Bupparam
Wat Bupparam

Ornate dragons head
Chiang MaiChiang Mai
Chiang Mai

Waterfall at Wat Pan Toa


Tot: 0.158s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0642s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb