Where are you from? England? you know Liverpool? Man U? how about Alex Ferguson?!


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Chiang Mai
March 14th 2009
Published: March 14th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Sat-waa-dee!
Hello from Chiang-Mai!
So a quick update before we head out into the mountains tomorrow for our three day trek.
Got here this morning at around 7:30 having spent the night on a sleeper train from Bangkok- journey wasnt too bad although not exactly the worlds best nights sleep! The carriages are open and at first you have a large seat to yourself sitting across from each other, then this converts into beds (one up one down) lying lengthways to the window. Its quite a nice system and they give you fresh bedding/pillow and the beds each have their own curtain so quite a cosy set up. Still, fairly noisy and not the smoothest train so we didnt quite sleep through! Will be catching the same train back again next week so can compare journeys......
ChiangMai is a small city full to the brim with temples (300 and something!) This afternoon we wondered round a few- all very photographic, many gold Buddhas, ornate carvings etc!
This morning we spent at a Thai cookery class which was a lot of fun! There are many run in the local area and we went to one run out of a family's home. First they take you to the local market to buy the ingredients and show you all the different fruit, vegetables and spices. Then you come back, try some exotic fruits and sweets then cook three different dishes. The instructors were really friendly and it was great to try things so fresh! We made PadThai, spring rolls and coconut soup- we also got the recipe book so can try recreating things at home (altho something tells me the ingredients might be a little more expensive.......!)
Tonight we are going to have a wonder round the evening market then get some rest before the adventure starts tomorrow!
Update when we get back from the trek- staying in villages, riding elephants, bamboo rafting and waterfalls await!
Love from Iz and Katie
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.032s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0527s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb