Our great time in Chiang Mai!!


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Chiang Mai
January 21st 2006
Published: January 26th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Chiang MaiChiang MaiChiang Mai

This is the view from the top floor of the guest house
Cant believe its been over 3 weeks since our last entry - time flies when you're having fun!

We have thoroughly enjoyed our time in Chiang Mai - I dont know where to start, theres so much to write...

Lets start from the beginning....

The plane ride from Phuket to Chiang Mai was rather hectic! But we got there in the end but....our bags went missing! I couldnt believe it! They said they were expecting them on the next plane into Chiang Mai and that they would send them to our Guesthouse. We waited and waited with nothing but the the clothes we had on but finally they did arrive - thank god!

In the first few nights we met so many people. The guest house we are staying at 'The Royal Guesthouse' is an ideal place for backpackers to meet lots of people and its very cheap, I highly recommend it. We've met so many people from all over the world and made some really good friends. In particular - Graham from Canada who we are hoping to see again when we go to Vancouver at the end of the year and 2 brothers - Paul
Me and PhilMe and PhilMe and Phil

Here we are drinking a 'Bucket' at The Roof Top Bar.
and James from Somerset. Paul and James were good as gold and we got on real well (I have to write that coz they be reading this! - only joking guys!!) They introduced us to some new places including a 'Go-Go' bar! (basically a Thai version 'Temptations' in Plymouth (strippers club)) and were the first ones to take us to our favourite bar - The Roof Top. They have been travelling for years and had lots of experiences and stories to share. I think without realising it, we have learnt a lot from them and Im sure we'll refer back to things they said and advice they gave in the rest of our travels. Who knows, we may have the chance to thank them when we visit sometime! It was so good to hang out with some English people who have the same humour, we had a good laugh!
Paul recommended I write down the names of all the people we meet on our travels which Ive started to do and Ive already filled up 4 pages in my travel diary and we've only been away 8 weeks!

In the first few nights a got badly bit by mosquitoes,
Me and Phil Me and Phil Me and Phil

Making faces - honest!
I started counting the bites on one leg and stopped when I got to 60! It was so itchy and painful. Serves me right for getting too drunk and not putting any repellant on I suppose! Ever since then, I carry it around with me - Im never letting that happen again!

We've been on a few trips since we have been here:

*Mae Ping River Cruise
I wouldnt call this a cruise but what do you expect for 2 quid! We took a boat through a river full of sewage to a herb farm. Basically it was a place to go to see all the different herbs Thai's use for the cooking and medicine. Good job it only lasted 2 hours!

* Thai Cooking Class
We figured we would give it a go so we could attempt some cooking when we get home (yeah right!).
We got in the Taxi that would take us to the cooking School with the rest of the group and was greeted my a Canadian who said ''Hi, Im Ernie'' we found it highly amusing, I wanted to say ''Hi, Im Bert''! Anyway, everyone else in the group was so enthusiastic
Phil Phil Phil

You have to walk up lots of stairs to get to The Roof Top bar and this is how all the walls are painted which we thought was pretty cool!
about the whole cooking thing and were amazed by all the ingredients and herbs - how they smell and how they are grown etc (me and Phil hadnt heard of any of them and to be honest werent that interested! We just smiled like we knew what they were going on about!) I hate cooking as it is and I was kind of thinking 'what have we got ourselves into!' it didnt help that we were a bit hungover (again!) but I have to admit, it was fun and it was interesting to see how the Thai's cook their food and it also made me realise that they put so much oil in everything! They fry everything! how fattening! It amazes me how you hardly ever see a fat Thai! By the end of the day, we couldnt remember how to cook anything! but we were given a recipe and directions book to guide us when we get home, I think I'll just give it to mum as a present!

*Golden Triangle and Karon Long Neck Tribe
This was an interesting trip. We got picked up 7am and didnt get back until 10pm! We didnt realise it took 4
Me and Phil with Graham the CanadianMe and Phil with Graham the CanadianMe and Phil with Graham the Canadian

This was his last night so it was another excuse to go out! Here we are in the Saloon Bar - our first stop!
hours to get there and back! Anyway, first we went to see the Karon Long Necks. The women in this tribe wear rings around their neck from the age of 5, they looked so uncomfortable. They keep adding more rings so their neck gets longer and longer and they stay on their neck until the day they die. The men dont have to wear them. Infact we never saw any men because they were all sleeping. The women have to get up early to work whilst the men chill out in bed - hardly fair is it!?!
The Golden Triangle is where the 3 Countries - Thailand, Burmer and Laos meet. We even had the chance to catch a boat Laos, so thats another Country we can say we've been to!

One of the main highlights since we've been in Chiang Mai is 'The Roof Top Bar' (had to be a pub didnt it!) it's about a 5 minute walk from the guesthouse. Basically its a bar on a roof top of a building! There arent any chairs and tables, you have to take your shoes off before you go in and sit on the cushions on the floor.
In the Roof Top BarIn the Roof Top BarIn the Roof Top Bar

With 3 Canadians - Graham, Chelsea and Fish and Ken from England
The place is so chilled out and the music is great. I wish they had something like it in England. This is the place we first got introduced to 'The Bucket' basically it's a bucket with 1 bottle of whiskey, 2 bottles of coke and a bottle of Thai Red Bull (which is a lot stronger than Red Bull you get in England - this stuff really does give you wings!!) Its a pretty lethal drink and gets you pretty wasted! On the first night we went out and was drinking them with Graham, Paul and James, I dont think Phil realised how strong they were - he got so drunk, he couldnt even stand up, he was trying to dance and was falling everywhere. I was a bit annoyed at first coz it meant I had to sober up to look after him and we had to leave the group early but I have to say, it was highly amusing trying to watch him stumble home, I couldnt help but laugh at him!!

Me and Phil are getting on fine and have still not had one argument since we have been away which is pretty good seeing as
Me and Phil Me and Phil Me and Phil

Guess who just had their teeth whitened!?!
we are constantly with each other. We are definitely having a good laugh!

Chiang Mai itself is a really nice place and we've really enjoyed our stay. Its a very chilled out city and is definitely worth a visit. You dont get the Thai's bugging you to buy stuff all the time like they did in Phuket which can really get on your nerves!
Although, on our first day we were walking around with a map trying to find the places to go and was stopped by this Thai guy claiming to be a teacher. He was really helpful and showed us places we should go etc but I knew there had to be a catch somewhere. Just as we were about to leave he started telling us about a taylor shop that is the best in Chiang Mai that we should definitely go to. We left him and another bloke approached us, offered to help with directions and began to tell us about this taylor shop, bit of a co-incidence it was the same one. Then we had 2 other 'teachers' approach us all going on about this taylor shop! How many times do you have to say
Us with the 2 brothers from SomersetUs with the 2 brothers from SomersetUs with the 2 brothers from Somerset

Here we are with Paul and James - that night we watched a bit of Thai boxing and singing shows by lady boys and they took us to the 'Go-Go' Bar! Interesting!
''we dont want a bloody suit!'' At first we thought, 'these people are so friendly wanting to help us like this' and then we realised they all obviously worked for the same taylor shop and were trying to get us to go there - we've seen them since stopping westerners, helping them with directions and then talking to them about this taylor shop. The Thai's are very clever people and are probably the best sales people you'll ever meet! If it wasnt for the fact we are travelling, I think I would have gone to the taylor shop and left with 3 suits I really dont need!

The Night Bizarre in Chiang Mai is great - every night they have a market from one end of the street to the next and they sell some really nice stuff and of course its really cheap!

Few other things that has happened since being here - I have a new tattoo on my foot of a Thai flower to remind me of my travels and I also had the tattoo on my belly covered up or changed so it looks a lot nicer than it did! It hurt so much
Us with the 6 guys from EssexUs with the 6 guys from EssexUs with the 6 guys from Essex

Here we are with - Joe, Joe, Luke, Mark, Tony and Adam! Good laugh!
- definitely put Phil off having one! I also got my teeth whitened thanks to mum and dad!

Overall, the past 3 weeks in Chiang Mai have been brilliant - I think the guest house and the people we met have been a big factor in why we've had such a great time. Part of me doesnt want to leave but I am looking forward to going Koh Samui and getting back to the beach. We have some dates lined up: 3rd Feb - Mum and Dad meet us for 2 weeks, 9th Feb - My Birthday! and 14th Feb is the Full Moon Party which we are really looking forward to.

We are throughly enjoying ourselves and dreading coming back to 'the real world' at the end of the year already! Traveling really is brilliant! I would recommend it to anyone, you have to do it! We can do whatever, whenever with no worries about anything, meet loads of interesting people from all over the world and just party all the time! its a great way to live dont you think!?













Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 27


Advertisement

Phil on Mae Ping River CruisePhil on Mae Ping River Cruise
Phil on Mae Ping River Cruise

This is at the Herb Farm where we stopped for some fruit
Phil in HammockPhil in Hammock
Phil in Hammock

Phil in bamboo hammock at Herb Farm. He really can fall asleep anywhere!
Me using a Rice CrusherMe using a Rice Crusher
Me using a Rice Crusher

This is how the tribes still crush rice - it was such hard work!
Market before cooking courseMarket before cooking course
Market before cooking course

This is the market we went to buy the ingredients for our meals for the cooking course. We could pick 6 meals each to cook.
Me making curry pasteMe making curry paste
Me making curry paste

I chose to make Red Curry Paste - its quite hard work grinding all the ingredients!
Phil Cooking!Phil Cooking!
Phil Cooking!

He looks good in an apron dont you think!!?
At the Golden TriangleAt the Golden Triangle
At the Golden Triangle

This is where the 3 Countries - Burmer, Laos and Thailand meet. The only thing seperating them is the river you can see.
LaosLaos
Laos

This was when we got the boat over to Laos. More markets!
Temple at Golden TriangleTemple at Golden Triangle
Temple at Golden Triangle

This temple was huge! It was in a shape of a boat with a huge Buddha ontop. Very pretty.
At the Golden TriangleAt the Golden Triangle
At the Golden Triangle

This thing was HUGE! You can just see a person standing on a stange in between the elephants. It was beautiful - the gold was hurting my eyes in the sunlight!
Karon Long Neck Hill TribeKaron Long Neck Hill Tribe
Karon Long Neck Hill Tribe

This is the tribe that wear rings around their neck to make their necks longer - it looks so uncomfortable!
Karon Long Neck Hill TribeKaron Long Neck Hill Tribe
Karon Long Neck Hill Tribe

This girl was so cute and her neck was already quite long.


26th January 2006

Hurrah!!!
Hey you guys, glad you finally got round to do another update!! Great Tats flacks (oo nearly mispselt that..he he!!)And glad to see your eating the local delicacies (Macdonalds!!!) Love you both loads and miss you!!! Your fave sis xxxxx
26th January 2006

Not long now!!
Really enjoyed the update Carly and Phil, counting the days now until we join you, we both need some sun!! Loved the photos,the little girl from the Long Neck Hill Tribe was so sweet! P.S. Thanks, but no thanks for the cook book, when you come home you and Phil will be doing the cooking!X
28th January 2006

From Tassie in Aus
Hi you two. You both look great and happy and are obviously having a marvelous time. I deleted your email address by mistake, so you will have to reply again as to your travel plans in Australia. We will definately try and catch up with you again when you come over here. What an experience you two are having. Go girl!!!!! Love ya loads, Pat xxxxx
2nd February 2006

omg carly didnt expect your foot tato 2 b like that! shocked me and my mum! very prety n diferent tho! looks like you 2 have met alot of people over there! keep having fun! x x x luv yaz x x x

Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 9; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0678s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb