Chiang Mai & some Pai villages


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Chiang Mai
December 25th 2008
Published: December 25th 2008
Edit Blog Post

I took the overnight bus to Chiang Mai and was lucky to meet a cool Dutch girl, we had some really good conversations on the bus and swapped mp3 players for some variation in music. We ended up taking the same trek together. The air con. of the bus was set too cold and everyone kept complaining. When we finally got there we were taken too a guest house where I signed up for the two day trek that started at 9 the same morning.

I took a quick shower and had breakfast and then met the rest of the group that was going on the same trek. It was on Canadian guy, 4 British guys, one british girl, the Dutchie (Shonika) and me. The trek leader was "crazy man" and our tour guide was "Tom Cruize"
We were told that the best area to visit is the Pai area. We all jumped on the back of a truck and off we went to the first village, Lisu. It was a bumpy ride but beautiful scenery.

At Lisu we had lunch and than the trek started to the next village, Lahu but by foot this time. When we finally got there we were about 75km from Burma and about 6 hours away from civilization. The village was really rural with no electricity and cellphone network. We played soccer against the locals. Team Falang vs. Team Thailand. We won 12 - 11 but lost by far in stamina. Plus we had one Thai guy in our team that scored about 8 of the 12 goals.

After that we all took a shower and had dinner. We the received a traditional dance from the local woman and children. It was so sweet. Then we had beer and the local teenagers entertained us with their excelent guitar skills. We all slep in one hut, but it was really cold.

The next day only Shonika and I had to get up early because we did the two day trek and not the three. We started off with a massive hike for about two hours to the waterfall and then about an hour the the elephant "tuk-tuk" or elephant trek. That was great, not having to walk for an hour!

We ended the trek with an hour of bamboo rafting and then about a two hour drive on the back of a truck back to Chiang Mai. Last night I took a stroll in the old city, which is surrounded by a water moat and had a great cheese burger. I told myself not to eat western food while in Asia, but it was highly recomended and I didn't know when will my next chance be.

Today I'll try and make the journey to Chiang Rai and Chiang Khong and try and cross the ferry to Houie Xay.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

A local's house in LahuA local's house in Lahu
A local's house in Lahu

The village is about a 100 people strong and there's 20 of these huts, all built on piles
The next morningThe next morning
The next morning

Waking up in the middle of a misty rain forest was beautiful


Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0483s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb