Chiang Mai


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Chiang Mai
February 20th 2008
Published: February 20th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Arrived in Chiang Mai on Saturday and it has been action packed since then!

Chiang Mai is a cool place and we have had a great time experiencing real Thai culture. We have wandered around the many temples in chiang mai and visited lots of budda's !! We have - well i have shopped till i dropped at the Sunday night market!

On Monday we went on a trek with Mr. Whiskey Trek Company! We were picked up at 8am and brought into the jungle area around Chiang Mai. We went elephant riding, visited hill tribes and bamboo rafting - see the photos for some cute shots of our elephant that we nicknamed 'nelly' (much easier than the Thai name) !! The elephant riding was brilliant - not very comfy mind you ! It also involved buying lots of bananas and sugar cane - they only walk when you feed them and on an hour long ride this meant alot of food !!

The bamboo rafting was very chilled out - with poor luke doing the hard work at the back stiring the raft ! It was surreal though to see elephants grazing along the river side as we floated past on our bamboos!!

Tuesday we did a cookery course in the Chiang Mai Organic Farm - again we got picked up at our guest house and brought to the local food market to learn about rice and coconut milk - see the photos ! We then made our way to the farm and cooked six dishes - we were so full at the end of the day after making green curries, spring rolls, pad thai etc Not sure we will be able to repeat it all but we will try when we get back !

Met some great people travelling on our trips and are trying to pick up hints as we go!!

Off to Koh Samui tomorrow looking forward to finally getting to a beach!!

Love to all,

Michelle & Luke


Additional photos below
Photos: 45, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

the banana lady the banana lady
the banana lady

there were lots of these huts along the route where you could buy more bags of food to get your elephant to move !


20th February 2008

sniff sniff
im actually crying at the fact ye are seeing baby elephants. you will have to put those new culinary skills to use and impress us all.

Tot: 0.038s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0191s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb