Chiang Mai


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Chiang Mai
December 29th 2007
Published: December 29th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We arrived in Chiang Mai on the 26th after a long day of layovers etc. from Krabi. The city is about 2 million in the city and about 5 million including surrounding area. We got in late and have upgraded to the Novotel (maybe a 2 star by Canadian standards). Had a quick bite to eat and a bottle of wine, yes wine selection was good (as in 6 bottles of red to choose from). The next day Mike and I both came down with bouts of food poisioning, whereas Danielle and Ryan have returned to full health.

We headed out that morning to the Wat Phra Sing (?) the biggest one in the old city. The old city itself is surrounded by a moat that was built to protect against the Burmese invaders back in 1200 something. Oh those Burmese!!! Since the temple was the biggest we were surprised by how small it was. With our stomachs hurting, we decided it would be best to stick close to home for the rest of the afternoon. That night we checked out the Night Bazaar. We know a few people (i.e. Jane, Connie) who would be in heaven there (literally). You can buy anything from Jimmy Choo purses, lanterns, any type of t-shirt, shoes, watches, anything and any brand name. We didn't stay too late but still did some successful shopping.

The next day I decided to stay at the hotel as still feeling rotten and Mike, Danielle, and Ryan headed out for a monkey show, snake show, and to visit some of the hilltribes in the mountains. The monkey show unfortunatley was pretty sad (all were on chains and tied to trees). Felt bad for paying to see this. The snake show more of the same but the hill tribes were super interesting. One of the tribes, Karen Long Necks, wear rings around their neck for tradition - not sure why. The neck-ring is not made of an accumulation of rings through the years, but of a brass spiral which is changed for a longer one when the child grows. It does not lengthen the neck, but pushes down the ribs. The spiral can be taken out without real danger.

After all of this the four of us visited the Sintiva Spa in a traditional Lanna style house. For about $50 CAN, we got 3 hour spa treatments. Heaven!! Including a herbal steam, a floral jacuzzi bath in a bamboo hut, massages, facials, and body scrubs. We want to go again everyday if possible ;-)

Today we set out to check out Doi Suthep, a temple up in the mountains. Colorful dragons, golden buddhas everywhere, and mostly Thai people worshippiing, pretty cool. At the bottom there were a bunch of markets, we had a banana fritter (banana in a waffle) and the guys and I shared Chiang Mai suasage (about 10% meat and 90% bone and cartilage - not recommended). After the guys REALLY wanted to check out the gun ranges (parents please don't be alarmed). They shot a 9 mm, about 15 rounds each. Cost about $30 a person so expensive by Thai standards but they said it was worth it and now Danielle has bargaining power for more shopping.

We fly out tonight at 9:30 to Bangkok and then have an overnight flight to the Philippines.

Can't upload pictures at the moment so check back soon....

Sawadee kaa


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



31st December 2007

Poor Meganita
Ack you poor thing, staying close to the hotel all day... and poor gang, all taking turns being sick. I hope you feel better soon.... and stay healthy!!! Too much to see and do!
3rd January 2008

You guys look tanned and relaxed.
I was reading about your travels this morning and am envious since it has turned cold for a few days in Ontario (-20 at night brr). Enjoy your trip. Darryl

Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0667s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb