Tuk Tuk Goose


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Chiang Mai
October 29th 2007
Published: October 31st 2007
Edit Blog Post

Well, we've been in Thailand about 4 days now and I'm happy to report that neither one of us can utter a single Thai word still, but we think those squiggly shapes that apparantly are words look pretty cool.

We're wrapping up two days in Chiang Mai so thought we'd try and catch up a little - plus our hotel has free internet right now and we're all bazaar'ed out (i'll explain later) so why not write some.

We arrived yesterday morning and checked in to the RACHAMANKHA HOTEL where we were upgraded to a suite - the Honeymoon thing is finally paying off (besides us sharing our love with each other and all that). It is basically two rooms connected by a living room area with a small outdoor patio area too. As appealing as this was to us, it didn't matter all that much since the grounds of the hotel are so beautiful to begin with. It is built in the Lanna style architecture and is right near the grounds of the Wat Phrah Singh which houses a gigantic Buddha flanked by some mini-buddhas (1/8 the size, but equally enlightened, which is nice).

We were lucky enough to be in Chiang Mai on a Sunday so we could take in the Sunday market. Much of our trip has involved visiting markets which all basically sell the same thing. We also made our way to the night market, via Tuk Tuk (a motorcycle taxi that runs on passenger's fear of dying.... very environmentally friendly except for all the horrilble pollution).

The next day we went to an Elephant Conservation Center where they put on a show involving the elephants doing demeaning acts in front of an oohing and aaahing crowd of Elderly Jewish people. Its kind of like talent night at your local b'nai brith except with large trunked performers who.... actually, its really not all that different. Also, during the show we managed to curry the favor of a young American boy who's parents seemed all too happy to let the kid talk to Elise for an hour without stop. I've never actually met someone who could outtalk Elise - but she met her match in a 5 year old named Jonah.

After the show we got to take a 45 minute Elephant ride on our new friend Solahm the Elephant. That was a fun, yet bumpy experience. I assure you there's not feeling quite like being on top of a two ton beast taking a 1 ton dump at the same time. Breathtaking, actually.

After the Elephant ride was a raft ride down a lazy river. Kind of like Huck Finn meets Bridge Over River Kwai. Elise and I were allowed to row our raft - which actually seemed like a chance for our rower to take a little break... however, he was an adept enough boatsman to row this antique contraption while talking on his mobile phone - that is SO Asia!

After our elephant day, we went back to our hotel for a little sun by the pool. We ended up next to someone we affectionately call "Bob The Builder," because his name is Bob and according to him he owns 85% of the buildings on the planet, and possibly some not on the planet. He is an opinionated New Zealander in a skimpy blue speedo, with a much younger Laotian wife (with adorable pregnant belly).... Amidst Bob's many opinions, he was actually a very nice person and gave us plenty to laugh about - he was also chock full of recommendations that we unfortunately can't take b/c of our already tight schedule. Bob and wife were just stopping over in Chiang Mai on their way back from Kazakhstan - naturally.

Well that should tide you over for now. I've actually finished writing in Chiang Rai (our next stop) and will update on that very soon - along with some observations I've written down but don't have with me.

BROWN-O-METER - We know, you're all waiting for this so -

With a few day excursions outside and a very short period of sunbathing by the pool.

Elise (thanks to a pre-wedding tanning booth base) has jumped up to a 3.7
Gregg (thanks to an inexplicably Indian complexion) is now a 5.1



Advertisement



31st October 2007

Parade
Sorry you guys missed the Cubs World Series parade yesterday. It was amazing. Keep having fun nonetheless.
31st October 2007

Congrats!
Hi Gregg and Elise, Congratulations! I am reading your blog and collecting info for my and Spanky's trip to Thailand next month. Your writing cracks me up! Mazel Tov, Laura
31st October 2007

Buhda-Pest
Hi guys- Sounds like you're having a great time. We arrived in Budapest today and so far have just relaxed. weather is cool and kind of rainy. Although the name would lead you to believe that there would be all kinds of Budha statuary here, but so far - nada! The hotel is very interesting, in an old palace and very old world architecture preserved and yet, very modern. Our room faces out over the Danube, (not Blue, another disapointment) Tomorrow we are going to do the tourist thing and try to see everything important. Keep writing and have fun. Grey - o - meter - Pam Ash Richard Charcoal
1st November 2007

Hi!
I can't believe that you met someone that talks more than Elise and he was only 5! I'm glad that you both are having such a wonderful time and even have an opportunity to relax and work on the brown-o-meter. You know that it what we are all really interested in. Make sure that you watch your step, you don't know what you may be walking into. Have a great time.
2nd November 2007

love your blog!!!!!
ah--the joy of your blog! so happy things are wonderful and that Thailand is so special.can't wait to see the pix.keep on blogging--we love reading it!!stay well. love you! xoxo

Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0295s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb