Chaing Mai and the gentle giants


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Chiang Mai
July 8th 2007
Published: August 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

PHOTOS!b]

Chaing Mai is Thailand’s capital of the north and brims with Thainess! Unlike Bangkok’s high rise towers, Chaing Mai is full of market stalls and little book shops. We spent five days here; however 3 of those were spent in the nearby Jungle!

As well as hiking through the forest, we stopped by a beautiful waterfall for a very powerful shower. The highlight of the 3 days was definitely the wonderful experience of riding an elephant!! We actually got to sit on her head while she plodded along. We were surprised at how rough and hairy her skin was. These “gentle giants” were so clever and agile, following their masters’ orders as we trekked along narrow and steep tracks. We also Bamboo rafted downstream, which was very fun, particularly when we went through the rapids! It was tough for Dom as he had the job of steering, at one point falling through broken bamboo and nearly breaking his leg! (Bex sat and enjoyed the ride!)

For the two nights we spent in the Jungle we stayed in two different hill tribe villages. The second village, of the Karen hill tribe was definitely the better of the two.
We had
a lot of fun meeting the people and playing with the local children. Our guide was very eccentric and liked to wander around the villages in his Leopard skin (Calvin Klein!) boxer shorts!

We had an amazing time and were sorry when it was over… From Chaing Mai we headed north to Chaing Rai, a quiet little town not far from the Golden Triangle. The night market there was amazing, but we resisted the urge to spend… too much!

Next time you'll hear from us, we will be in Cambodia after a very long and tiring trip from northern Thailand. We hear the border crossing is a nightmare so fingers crossed!

(Don't forget to click on the second page of photos!)

00
DAYS 
00
HOURS 
00
MINS 
00
SECS

Until we return home 😞 !!!




Additional photos below
Photos: 36, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



16th July 2007

It looks absolutely beautiful! How are you ever going to manage to live in London after all those wide open spaces? Lots of Love xxxx
16th July 2007

Tasty snack!
I was beginning to think there weren't many experiences left for you two to have a go at but now you're into riding elephants and bamboo rafts! Please don't say you actually tasted the cockroaches? However thank you for the idea, we've recently caught some big beauties in the nursery so now I know what to do with them. Somehow I don't think the parents will be too pleased when they see them on the snack menu!

Tot: 0.519s; Tpl: 0.026s; cc: 15; qc: 91; dbt: 0.3906s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb