Ayutthaya & Sukhothai


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Ayutthaya
July 5th 2007
Published: July 5th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Ayutthaya & Sukhothai

 Asia » Thailand » Ayutthaya By BallingerLewis
July 5th 2007
Dom and Bex
After spending hardly any time in Bangkok. We left the pollution for the delights of central Thailand. A two hour train journey brought us to Ayutthaya, the former capital of Thailand. This was an important landmark because of the remnants of the ancient city. The old city is surrounded by a huge moat, making it an almost impenetrable place. Unfortunately for the Thais, the Burmese managed to break Ayutthaya’s defenses and sacked the city, forcing the Monarchs south, to Bangkok. The remaining sights were very interesting and are scattered amongst the modern buildings. We hired bikes and spent a day discovering the ruins of the ancient city.

Six hours north of Ayutthaya is Sukhothai, also a former capital of Thailand. The ruins here were on a much greater scale - therefore calling for a better mode of transport. Luckily Dom had some experience of heavy machinery from his days in a local biker gang in Cyprus. We hired a 50cc monster and chugged our way around the ancient Wats and images of the Buddha.



Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



15th July 2007

bang po in
do try to get to bang po in and island in the river 1 hr by longtail boat south of ayutthaya. fantastic. great journey to follow

Tot: 0.274s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 19; qc: 92; dbt: 0.1922s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb