Chiang Mai - Pai


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Chiang Mai
June 5th 2007
Published: June 5th 2007
Edit Blog Post

After a 14 hour train journey we arrived in Chiang Mai. Spent the day wandering around the city, booked a 2 day trek for the next few days and had a massage which was very lovely as I’d insisted she be very gentle with me. The next day we headed off on our trek. We met our group which consisted of 3 couples, from Oz, Germany and Dominican Republic Before the hike up the hill; we went on a short elephant ride through the foot hills. Our Ellie was very well behaved and meandered along easily which was very good as we weren’t strapped in and I was a little afraid of falling on my head. We then headed off on the 'trek'. I very very quickly realized just how unfit I actually am when after about 10 minutes I was sweating more than I ever have done in my life and was struggling a bit to breath - oh dear!! After a short while we (luckily) moved off the very steep hill and began to wander through the bush. The surroundings where so lovely and green, it was so nice to be out of the city and in clean, fresh air. It did start to rain, but this didn't really matter, was actually nice to cool me down. For about 3 hours we walked up hill and the higher we got, the more amazing the views became. The hill tribe villages began to become clear and where we were heading finally came into view. I was quite relieved to arrive at the village as was a wee bit tired and extremely dirty. We were spending the night in our tour guides hut and a variety of children were running around screaming and an old lady who looked about 105, but was prob only 40 was smoking a huge spliff - all little bit random. Anyway, after a rather cold but much needed shower, we settled down round the fire and relaxed. At first we were a little gutted about being surrounded by couples, but they were all really nice and we got on so well, esp with the Oz couple who were really funny. We had dinner which was very tasty and then one of the village boys entertained us with a variety of match stick tricks that were so obvious - once he'd told us the answers. Had an early night wrapped in numerous blankets and a rather dodgy looking mossie net. Not much sleep had by all, as were surrounded by animal farm which included a rather confused rooster who decided to pipe up at 3am. At one point there was absolute mayhem and it sounded like they were all killing each other. Anyway, up at 8 and after some food we started down the hill. Bit slippy and steep, but managed to keep on my feet. We arrived at a water fall and dived right in, water was so powerful, nearly got knocked under, but very refreshing! Continued to walk along the river to our next activity - white water rafting. Us and the Oz couple jumped right in and off we went. Fair amount tamer than NZ but good fun. After we climbed out and continued down the river, in the rain!!!! on a bamboo raft than gradually sank as we went along. Very wet by the end but much fun!
The next day we visited an Elephant Park which cares for sick and abused Ellies. It was started by this amazing Thai woman who has devoted her life to campaigning against poor treatment of elephants. Whilst there was got to meet all the happy creatures who were free to wander around as they please. There were three babies who were gorgeous and one of the biggest Ellies in Thailand. We fed then, bathed them and learnt all about each one. It was so interesting and lovely to see them in their natural habitat. In the evening we went out with two girls we met that day and went to a really random, very amateur Lady Boy show. It was very funny, though we were all quite pissed off by the fact they all had better legs than ours.
A lazy day the next and in the evening checked out the Sunday market which was huge and seemed to take over most streets in Chiang Mai. Bekka went a bit OTT on the shopping and I ate loads - was a good night! Bekka started her massage course the next day and I headed off for a wandered round the city. I visited Wat Phra Singh, Wat Pan Tao and Wat Chedi Luang, three different temples, all very interesting and mostly very shiny. I then spent the afternoon lazing by a pool round the corner from our guesthouse. The next day I caught a taxi 30 minutes out of town and up the near hill of Doi Suthep to a temple high on the hill. Amazing views of the city and very calming. Had to climb a good number of steps though which hurt - so unfit!!! I then had a peruse round the shopping mall and had an enormous lunch for 72p. It was great! Later in the afternoon, I headed for the night bazaar, one of the main sights of Chiang Mai.
The next day, in the afternoon, I headed to Wat Suan Dok, a temple that hosts 'Monk Chat', an opportunity for foreigners to meet and chat with the monks. This was defiantly one of my most interesting experiences in Thailand, they were such kind, peaceful men. They taught me all about their way of life and the importance of Buddhism to both themselves and their teaching. We talked for several hours and I told them all about myself and life back in England. I really enjoyed my time with them and was quite gutted when it was time to leave. I then met up with Bekka who was just finishing her course and allowed her to practice on my feet.
The next day we took part in an all day cooking course, being taught by an extremely funny Thai lady called Nokky. We first visited the market were we were taught all about the various Thai ingredients we would be using and what dishes they were used in. At the school, for each dish, we were each given a box of ingredients and Nokky talked use through first the preparation and then the actual cooking. Throughout the day we made Pad Thai, Green Curry, Tom Yum soup, Spring rolls and Mango with sweet rice. We got to eat every dish we made and by the end of the day we were all stuffed. It was a really good day and everyone in the class got on well which made it even better. The food was amazing, though I was pretty full after my first dish so struggled to eat the rest and I hope to be able to recreate it all at home (though lack of fresh ingredients may hinder this). That evening we all went out to a bar in town for a night of heavy drum & base (not really my thing but funny to watch everyone else try and dance!!).
Early start the next morning to catch our mini bus up to Pai, a small town about 4 hours north of Chiang Mai. The roads were really windy round the hills and by the time we arrived, everyone in the bus was feeling a little nauseous. On our bus we met Jackson, Toby and Arial (from UK, Germany and USA). After finding a room we met for lunch and then me and Bekka found an outdoor swimming pool for a bit of relaxing a tanning. At the pool we bumped into Ian, a guy we met in Airlie Beach in Oz on our Whitsundays sailing trip (about 6 months ago) -very random. We arranged to me up with him and his mates, Mark and Stefan that evening. We all met at a restaurant that evening and I had one of the best meals I have had in Thailand which put me in a great mood for more wine and vodka. A really good evening had by all.
What was supposed to be a one night trip to Pai turned into a 3 night stay, with us only leaving because we'd only bought enough clothes for one night and were beginning to stay. Everyone we met was just so nice and friendly, and Pai was such a beautiful laid back little lace, we kinda fell in love and didn't want to leave. Two days of lazing round the pool, cycling round the town, slightly random herbal massages and amazing food, we didn't want to leave. Very reluctantly, we headed back to Chiang Mai hoping to catch a flight to Laos the next day. However, the flight was full so we had to wait round Chiang Mai for another two days. Not such a hardship, with a bit more shopping, sunning ourselves and a further massage and body scrub, we happily boarded the plane.
We are a little behind schedule now, so not certain we'll make our 21st July deadline, but nothing is set in stone, so we'll see.
Off to Laos, another new country - very exciting!!!!



Additional photos below
Photos: 29, Displayed: 28


Advertisement



Tot: 0.134s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 61; dbt: 0.097s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb