Chang Mai and Hill Trek.


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Chiang Mai
March 16th 2007
Published: March 16th 2007
Edit Blog Post

night train to chang mainight train to chang mainight train to chang mai

aka the venga bus, blurred cos it rocked violently 1
We toke the over night train from bangkok up to chang mai . air conditioned and a bit like a morgue. the buffet car though was amazing.
they close at ten but around half eight turned off the lights , cranked cheesy western music right up and just left us with a string of crappy coloured lights hanging from the ceiling and a banner saying happy new year, plus there's no windows. the noise was amazing what an experience. kinda made the night.

got to Chang mai early doors and had a free day so went up to to the elephant conservation centre. they had a two day old baby elephant and put on a bit of a show. moving stuff, painting and the like.

next morning we went up and up in to the hills. hot and dusty , hanging out of the back of kinda a pick up truck.

then in the afternoon we literally plunged down the side of a hill.
our guide , Sunni, lives up there and was determined for us to have the real experience. we were knackered and as black as dust men.

his village was proper remote.chicks, pigs ,
elephant conservation placeelephant conservation placeelephant conservation place

nice pic, painted on paper made from elephant poo !
dogs and people just wandering around, but they are very polite and nice.

Sunni and Mr Chad carried food which they then prepared.
he told us about the customs and life in the hill tribes. he was great, really polite and genuine and it didn't feel like a tourist thing. no luxury,squat toilets, mossies, cold water the works.

next day we headed off further down the valley through streams and the like eventually getting to an elephant camp. we then rode the elephants up to another village. it was a real roller coaster ride ! everyone else does it on the flat ! not us , oh no.

when we get there we swam and washed in the river then froze our nuts off over night. it was proper cold.

third day there was no way we were going to walk again. so they built bamboo rafts and we floated down the river for a few hours, over rapids and stuff, got in the water and hung on to the side, it was bliss !
no life jackets or anything.

the trip back to chang mai turned into a food and anything else fight between
northern thai land water fall.northern thai land water fall.northern thai land water fall.

stunning place, i didn't go under but chris was brave enough, freezing water !
the two pick up trucks. made the journey go pretty quick and was a great laugh.

the night train back to bangkok was windows open , fans on the ceiling and well shabby, it was great , better than the other one.
Matt from Sydney was a real beer monster and we loaded up on beers from the seven eleven and bought more throught the window when we pulled into stations. we also bartered and bought ice off a guy on the train to try to keep them cold.

all in all a fantasic trip and a genuinely great bunch of people.

some of the group left at the end of the trip but there was a few of us left who went to an irish pub to celebrate chris from northern ireland birthday. an amazing laugh made by the beer towere and a fantastic thai rock band that did mr bright side for us plus loads of really great rock.
off to see a shopping mall then its off down south through the bit with the mini bus ambush earlier this week, doh !!


Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

down hill babydown hill baby
down hill baby

resting by a small water fall after the steepest bit down , so happy to get cold water !
Sunni;s villageSunni;s village
Sunni;s village

a bit rustic and bit scary at first,full of animals wandering,very remote.
Rag a muffinsRag a muffins
Rag a muffins

couple of shy kids from the village
me with monkeyme with monkey
me with monkey

if you have some poo, throw it now !
me with baby elephantme with baby elephant
me with baby elephant

he was just in the middle of standing on my foot the violent little git !
me on elephantme on elephant
me on elephant

i had one to myself, everyone else had to share !
swim timeswim time
swim time

and bath time too !
tea on the second night.tea on the second night.
tea on the second night.

then a game of ping pang pong !
local schoollocal school
local school

aka local Clo , love that sweeping !
local schoollocal school
local school

running late !
chang maichang mai
chang mai

very heavy and smoky skies caused by forest fires up in china
Train back from chang maiTrain back from chang mai
Train back from chang mai

Matt the beer monster from Aus, hopefully meeting him when i get to sydney.
one is just not enoughone is just not enough
one is just not enough

it was a shame matt from aus wasn't with us, he would have loved these 3 litre beer towers complete with a core of ice built in to keep them cold
the bandthe band
the band

she was a bit ropey but the music was really good and a thai with long air belted out the rock numbers
chrischris
chris

Northern Irelands top hair dresser. Peter Mark, very expensive apparently.


Tot: 0.409s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 23; qc: 110; dbt: 0.0925s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb