We Trek


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Chiang Mai
January 9th 2007
Published: January 22nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

So after 2 days in Chiang Mai we decided what the hek we would do a trek.
We firstly went to visit a butterfly and Orchid farm I am still not sure what it had to do with a trek but it was very pretty there and we got some nice presents there.
We then headed 45min outside of Chiang Mai where I was to experience my first ride on a big animal (not what ur thinking) it was an elephant. Before I got on I did feel a little guilty as the poor animals probably do this all day and are tired and mistreated, but as Mos pointed out they are probably better treated than the working ones.
Our elephant was a bit of a rebel and was refusing to take orders which make me think that the thing would go crazy on us but he was good. We had a great laugh on the trip as the elephant kept snoring snot at us and the Australian girls with us said it tasted like chicken.
Next we went on our hike to the tribal villages, it was quite hard as it was very steep ground and if you fell you did not have to worry about funeral expenses as you would never again be found, everyone fell on their ass a lot so we were all in the same boat. We landed at the waterfall which was very nice but not deep enough to swim. We visited the long neck tribes which were very cool, they put rings around their necks to make them stretch as they believe it makes them beautiful I suppose no beauty without pain cause if they take off the rings their necks could snap and by the way its only the women that wear them surprise surprise.
They were weaving the most beautiful cloth to sell and jewelery taht is hand made while the men were sitting around doing nothing but this is the case everywhere here, so it is a mans world out here.
We visited another 2 villages and they were so poor the Thai gov has put them there for tourism as they have fled from Burma so they have to give something in return (lots of tourists taking pictures of them like they are in a circus).
There are chickens and dogs pigs and lots of other strange creatures strolling around the village and in and out of huts; there was not many people there as they were all out in the fields working.
Next was the exciting part white water rafting, there was Mos and I and the 2 Aussie girls and the guide, god it was a blast we hit every rock on the way down but it was such fun we were roaring laughing, I will definitely do that again, next came the bamboo rafting this was a little calmer and we just sat and admired the view and the snake that was near us (yuk)
We then headed back for Chiang Mai that evening exhausted but thrilled that I had done so many things in the one day that I had not done before.
I also witnessed my first Thai boxing match which was pretty cool.
I am glad we decided to trek. Tomorrow we are heading for the border and fingers are crossed.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.043s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0255s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb