TREKKING


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Chiang Mai
November 6th 2004
Published: December 22nd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Couple days from arriving in Thailand, not wanting to hang out in Bangkok, decided to take the overnite bus to Chiang Mai, loaded with backpackers, the guy seating next to me, a Spaniard, full of tattoos mentioned to me he is exhausted and wanted to lay down on the floor on the luggage compartment down below, as it is a semi double decker, so i can have his seat if i want to stretch, unfortunately moments later he came back cussing under his breath in Spanish, then complained to me they wont let him lie there because the police will stop the bus, he said something like, they let 10 people ride in a pile in a moto and they will stop the bus for having a foreigner sleeping on the floor! I think they just don't want him there.. For the rest of the night i was restless, the A/C was in full blast, seems like the only adjustment setting is either off or freezing cold! Somehow we made it to Chiang Mai and we were hauled into this hostel and soon as we got there, they started pitching tours, treks etc. I signed in as it seems ok and made friends with couple of people one of which is a sweet English girl whom i will meet some more later in my trip, that night we went to the night market along with a Bostonian and a Swede who is here to train for Muay Thai boxing. Next day, having said bye to the Swede, we were picked up for the trek, it was 3 day trek and was most enjoyable, included elephant rides, a bit of white water rafting, bamboo rafting, etc. food was excellent, and the papaya salad made by our guide is so spicy he was in tears as he was eating it, once back in Chiang Mai, istayed for couple more days to try my skills on Thai cooking lessons for 2 days, food was good, since i ate what i cooked, but just too spicy for me., also stopped by the boxing camp to see my Swede friend train, then made my way to Laos by flying, not wanting to sit on a boat for 2 days, which is another option into crossing over to Lao.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

CHIANG MAI MARKETCHIANG MAI MARKET
CHIANG MAI MARKET

DRAGON FRUIT, AND ROSE APPLE
KICK BOXING CAMPKICK BOXING CAMP
KICK BOXING CAMP

JOHANN KICKING MY ASS


Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0295s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb