trains trains trains


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Chiang Mai » San Kamphaeng
December 12th 2010
Published: December 13th 2010
Edit Blog Post

we left our amazing hotel in kanchanaburi and walked to the train station which wasnt too far but in the blistering midday sun it felt like it took forever........when we got to the train station we found out the train to bangkok was 2 hours delayed - obviously thats our luck - but we had plenty time before our 10pm train to chiang mai so we sat and waited and in true liddle style i fell asleep on the bench, i think i actually really do just have 2 settings - stop and go, as soon as i sit still for longer than 5 minutes i fall asleep no matter where i am!!!! much to the annoyance of lee.....
so 2 hours later the train arrives we get a seat and on our way to bangkok. On the trains i must say i hav eaten some of the nicest food and this one was no exception - thai chicken curry and rice in a palm leave for 10baht (about 20p) was lush....and the smell of it coming through the carraige woke me up as again after 5 mins i was asleep - head dropping, mouth open, lovely sight!!!!!! haha!!!!! just like the metro and bus journey home after work!!!!!!

it took just under 3 hours to get to bangkok then we had 2 hours to wait for our 16 hour train to chiang mai - oh how we love train journeys!!!!! at the train station we met a british couple from essex and went for tea with them as they were also waiting for a 10pm train - they were in thailand for their honeymoon awwww.....in th 2 hours we were witht them we covered a wide range of converation topics - vegetarianism, the tiger temple, war, auchswitz, khmer rouge, nazis and the holocaust....lovely mealtime talk with total strangers that we saw for 2 hours of our life and will probably never see again, yet acted like best of friends with drinking beer and eating food - the beauty and randomness of travelling........i love it!!!!!!

10pm and we leave our '2 hour mates' and catch our train, overnight trains have sleeper carraiges so are basically 2 rows of bunk beds the length of the carriage each with their own curtain.....we found our seat/bed got settled, ordered breakfast for 9 am in the morning then the second the train started moving.....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz........i was asleep......poor lee - he doesnt really sleep well on the trains, i however sleep like a baby....this time for 9 1/2 hours, i woke up with enough time to freshen up and then breakfast arrived at my bunk right on time!!!!
we still had 4 hours to kill so we had a little wander along the train sat at the doorway for a bit while the train rode along miles and miles of green countryside........then i had another little snooze - lee listened to music - i snoozed - then we were here......fresh as a daisy.......


Advertisement



Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0545s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb