Koh Chang (10-13 Sep 14)


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Eastern Thailand » Koh Chang » Koh Chang
September 14th 2014
Published: September 14th 2014
Edit Blog Post

White Sands BeachWhite Sands BeachWhite Sands Beach

Very, very quiet during the rainy/low season...
Moving on from the quiet riverside town of Chanthaburi, I made my way towards Thailand's third largest island of Koh Chang (Elephant Island), which lies along the Eastern Gulf. From Chanthaburi, it would be a 1h minibus first to Trat, then a 30 min sawng thaew (pick-up truck) transfer to the pier at Laem Ngop, before a short 30 min ferry cruise to the island itself.

That it was the rainy (and therefore low) season was very apparent. Probably not even particularly crowded even during the high season, the few main streets that encircle the island were mostly deserted. Even the main drag in the White Sands area was quite devoid of people, even in mid-day. I was probably one of just a few customers having breakfast at Monkeys Bar every morning, so much that the staff must have noticed my tendency to order the same thing (nice Breakfast Baguette btw!), and leave the same (small) tip!

The beaches at Koh Chang were decent, though certainly far from the best I've seen on my travels. Fairly coarse, brown sand, rocky in many parts, with heavy-looking waves at times don't make the waters particularly inviting, though I would, of course,
Elephant CampElephant CampElephant Camp

It ain't called Koh Chang (Elephant Island) for nothing.
still prefer the setting to being couped up behind a desk in a windowless cubicle in some high-rise somewhere...

I also met a German couple Lena and Michael along the way. They were both just about finishing their university studies, and backpacking parts of Cambodia and Thailand for their summer vacation. Both being engineering-types, they pretty much fit the mould for any German stereotype you might have in mind. Interestingly, I found out there are no 7-11 stores in Germany! (Compared to the gazillion you find here in Thailand)

Stayed at Sabai Beach Guesthouse.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Haat Saai KhaoHaat Saai Khao
Haat Saai Khao

White Sands Beach area.


Tot: 0.156s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0915s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb