Loy Krathong Festival


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Pattaya
November 12th 2008
Published: November 13th 2008
Edit Blog Post

After 4 days in Bangkok ( mostly getting MY body “time-atized” to Thai time … not as easy this time as it has been in the past :-( ) we taxied to the beaches of Jomtien to check into the Grand Jomtien Palace Hotel….. the new Chalet Wing.







The day after arriving in Jomtien we were treated to the experience of the Loy Krathong Festival. It is one of Thailand’s best preserved traditions offering tourists a unique cultural experience, and should not be missed if you’re lucky enough to be in Thailand during this time.






The streets were filled with families all along the beach celebrating the “Festival of Lights”. This festival occurs on the full moon of the 12th lunar month, this year it was Nov.12th. All over Thailand, rivers and waterways are set aglow as millions of people set adrift their krathongs, ornately crafted “candle lit” vessels made from banana leaves and flowers.
The sky is filled with most spectacular dispays of miniature hot air balloons that familes light and release into the night sky.
Some believe their troubles will float away with the Krathong and it is not unusual for offerings to be placed on them, some even place tufts of hair or nail clippings to rid themselves of ill fate and bad luck.
The origins of the festival are believed to date back 700 years and be based around the Indian festival Deepavalee, although others believe it is based on ancient Buddhist tales.



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0361s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb