The Island of Koh Kret


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Ko Kret
December 10th 2013
Published: December 26th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Some friends and I took a trip just outside the city to a little island called Koh Kret. An hour's bus ride away, it's in the middle of the Chao Praya river and feels like it's a world away from the noise and chaos of the city. It's only open for tourists on weekends and public holidays, so the island still retains its traditional charms.

We arrived at the water's edge and took a very short ferry ride across the river. There's quite a bit to do and see: wats, shopping, eating, and exploring. Since many in the group wanted last minute Xmas presents, we spent quite a bit of time shopping. After the shopping, we ate a lovely meal, saw some traditional pottery in the making, and then did some exploring of the island and took a boat ride.

The boat ride is a little over an hour long, with a few stops along the way. The boat drives you around the island, allowing you to take in the sights of all the houses on the water's edge. On both sides of the river, people were friendly and waved. We stopped three times, once at a dessert shop, once at a gift shop, and once at a wat. We were on the last boat ride of the day and were able to take in the setting sun and pink skies. I felt like I was on a proper holiday and not just a day trip.

After our boat trip, we went back across the river to catch the 166 bus (with the yellow sign!) back to Victory Monument in Bangkok. All in all, a lovely outing.


Additional photos below
Photos: 71, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

I've always wanted a drink in a bagI've always wanted a drink in a bag
I've always wanted a drink in a bag

And I love Thai iced tea.


Tot: 0.409s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 87; dbt: 0.3334s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb