Efficiency and Errands in Bangkok


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
June 15th 2017
Published: June 17th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Bangkok: people either love it or hate it. In our old days of travel, we used to hub in and out of Bangkok all the time so we really got to know and love our little area of the city, the legendary Khao San Road, backpacker paradise. Since Air Asia took over the SE Asia travel scene, however, we have been going more to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia as this is Air Asia's hub, but it still just doesn't hold the same appeal as Bangkok. This was the first time we'd been to Bangkok in maybe ten years, and it felt like coming home. We went to stay at Rambuttri Village Inn. Back in the day, this used to be a real treat, with air-conditioning and hot water (which we never used to get) and even a pool on the roof. At $17/night, it seemed like a real splurge! Well, times have changed and so have we. Traveling as a family, we are now accustomed to getting air-conditioning and the higher price tag it brings, so we didn't even blink at the $55 price tag. At least it now includes breakfast, a substantial savings when there are four of you.



We arrived at Bangkok International Airport at about midnight, so by the time we got a taxi to the hotel, it was past 2am. I was surprised to see how much activity there was along the way with street markets all lit up. This really is a night city, and not just for the drunks! By the time we were checked into our room and all tucked up in bed, it was 3am. I'm pretty sure I kept my fingers crossed all night kind that the kids would sleep in a bit.



The next morning, when I heard a little voice, I tentatively looked at my watch - 7:30am. I was hoping for a little later, but at least we'd get a hop on the day as we had a list of errands a mile long. By 9:00am, we'd had breakfast and set off to work on our list. By early afternoon, we'd checked off almost all of the important things on our list: laundry turned in, dress turned in to be altered, dental cleanings for Scott and I (the dentist and his assistant remembered us from ten years ago!), and a trip to the hospital, where we did a physical for each child for their preschool papers, TB skin tests for Scott and the kids, an x-ray for me to check for TB (again for preschool), and two travel immunizations for Scott.



Two days later, we returned to the hospital and in just two hours, and without any appointment, we got the three TB skin tests read and preschool papers signed, I got two travel immunizations, and Scott and I both had a consultation with a dermatologist for a general skin check up. The whole time the friendly staff escorted us around from place to place, making sure things went smoothly. At the end of each visit to the hospital, we simply cruised over to the cashier where they scanned the barcode on our paperwork (it's all kept on file electronically) and paid our bill. Done! No dealing with insurance companies and arguing over co-pays and coverage for months on end. It was so simple and efficient in Bangkok, and cost a fraction of what it would have in America. We ❤️ Thailand medical!



Other errands we got done in Bangkok were haircuts for Scott and Jake, typing out and printing a letter we needed, and a whole lot of shopping. Bangkok really is the easiest city in the world to get stuff done!



In between all of the errands, we made some time for fun too. We walked around the temple grounds near Khao San for a peaceful respite and made friends with a orange-robe-clad monk, we did lots of eating of yummy Thai and Indian food while street vendors entertained our kids with all kinds of junkie toys, a few of which we got talked into buying. We probably paid way too much money. It's hard to barter too hard when your kids are holding the item and begging you to buy it!



The only truly touristy thing we did was to visit Bangkok's #1 attraction, the Grand Palace. We got there the typical Bangkok way, by tuk-tuk. We were surprised when we were dropped off quite a way from the palace. In the past, when we'd visited the Grand Palace many years ago, you got dropped off right at the entrance. Now, due to heightened security, all of the roads surrounding the palace are closed to traffic so you have to walk quite a way. The kids did surprisingly well. We fell into step with a humongous Chinese tour group and followed the flag to the entrance, trying not to get too slowed down by all of the photos. Once at the entrance gate, we found that they no longer hand out sarongs to wear to cover your legs, so Scott had to buy a pair of elephant pants from a shop across the street. Im sure they'll come in handy again one day...maybe!



The Grand Palace was as elaborate and impressive as ever, but it was marred by one thing: Chinese tour groups, wall to wall. I know I've complained a little bit too much about this in past blogs, but it really is getting a bit out of control. Every time you try to do a famous sight in Asia, it is literally overrun with Chinese tour groups. They are not the easiest people to deal with, either. For one, a lot of them carry umbrellas so as to avoid getting a drop of sun on them. This becomes quite problematic in crowded places, which is generally the case when any large tour groups are around, as you constantly have to be careful not to get your eyes gouged out! They also have no concept of the good old British queue. I was in a line in the bathrooms recently and a Chinese woman walked in and maneuvered her way to the front. Seeing what was about to happen, as the next stall became free, I moved forward with Jake (who was dancing on the spot saying "pee-pee") only to have her continue ahead. I told her that we were waiting but she barged in anyway, blatantly cutting in line. So rude! Admittedly, the selfie-taking-with-the-kids issue wasn't a problem in this case as everyone was thankfully too busy taking photos of the palace, and our kids lost much of their celebrity status, which was quite alright with us! After about an hour, we'd seen the main sights and had taken the obligatory photos. The kids were hot and thirsty, and we were all tired of battling crowds. It was time to go. We again got caught in a tsunami of Chinese tour groups pushing and shoving as we left, but finally made it out. Phew!



The next time we are in Bangkok, maybe we'll seek out some smaller lesser known temples to visit, but I'm sure we'll be back to pay a visit to both Mission Hospital and our dentist!





*** Please scroll all the way down for more photos ***


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.264s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 22; qc: 79; dbt: 0.1152s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb