Too Tired To Tuk-Tuk


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
October 12th 2006
Published: October 14th 2006
Edit Blog Post

I'm in Bangkok, Thailand!

The 4 hour flight from Taipei to Bangkok allowed me another two hours of sleep and a viewing of The Lake House... Keanu is such a babe!

Off the airplane we sheeped our way into a long and time consuming line that, as it turned out, was not a line meant for Americans. Fortunately, we realized this before waiting too long and found ourselves appropriately directed to and through customs with our passports visa stamped for 30 days. Into a taxi we slumped and off we speed along the expressway from the outskirts and into the heart of Bangkok: Thanon Khao San in Banglamphu... the pass-through home of all backpackers while in Bangkok.

I called my dad at midnight to let him know we arrived safely... it was 2pm locally, midnight PST. I hadn't stopped to shower the trip off or eat or anything. Door to door the trip was 27 hours: 17 in flight, 3 in layover, 3 in LAX pre-board, 1 in arrival airport business, 2 hours in airport to-from travel times (adding up both ends), and another hour with hotel check-in and familiarization.

Barbara opted to shower and nap. I was too excited. After calling home, I headed straight for a walk along the bustling Khao San Road. It's a single street chock full of tuk-tuks, motorcycles, taxis, tourists, and heaps of kaotic shopping. There are the shops and cafes that line both sides of the streets, plus the vendors that line the sidewalks, and the vendors that line both sides of the streets. But, that's not all... there's a multitude international tourists (no high-enders, all backpacker types and Thai nationals) trying to walk in and amoungst the craziness. It was a lot to take in given that I was a zombie.

I wandered back to the hotel, showered off, crashed for an hour, then headed out again with Barbara for some dinner. Great street cart food!

Standouts, so far:

Other than that, it's surreal that I'm actually here. I feel sort of numb to the excitement of being here. I think sleep will help.

Funniest thing seen today... Frog Satay!


Advertisement



14th October 2006

tuk tuk & yum yum
Frog satay sounds delish! Can't wait! sa-wut-dee poo-ying

Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0218s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb