Welcome to the coup


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
September 21st 2006
Published: September 21st 2006
Edit Blog Post

ladies and gentleman when i said that i was leaving to travel the world and seek out adventure i was not expecting the first country i landed in to have its Prime Minister ousted by the military - still it made for entertaining viewing.

the day started mundanely enough by arriving in Bangkok and meeting up with my good friend Phil who was fresh from travelling the back end of Asia and beyond. Got to our hotel, got settled in had a swim in the rooftop pool and cracked open the first of what will be many Singha beers. We decided to head out to the night life areas for some dinner (and a few more cold ones) so hailed down a tuktuk and powered, at speeds not designed for a three wheeled trike, into the heart of Bangkok.

After eating and many beers we couldn't figure out why all the locals in the bar were cowding round the tv until we finally caught a glimpse of the screen and the words 'military coup' and 'martial law'. we all shared a look and decided that the only true British thing to do was to get another round in. In all honesty, apart from the tanks in the streets, you wouldn't know what was going on and the thais have such a relaxed attitude to everything that calmness reined.

The situation at the mo is still the same and nothing appears to have differed, i can only hope that all future military coups that i get involved in can be as pleasant as this one.

ne way we head out of Bangkok tomorrow to the area where the bridge over the river kwai was built, and destroyed and finally rebuilt. we should be there for three days and then its on to Shang Mai in the North

Stay tuned for further updates and if Thaksin Shinawatra ( deposed Thai PM for you uneducated lot ) is reading this i would stay in Britain for a while longer. in fact speak to my parents as i know they've got a room going spare

Take care all
Jammo

Advertisement



Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0358s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb