The elephants and the floating markets


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
June 5th 2006
Published: August 24th 2006
Edit Blog Post

An orchid (thai obviously)An orchid (thai obviously)An orchid (thai obviously)

I think mum took this picture for grandpa, although unfortunately I don't think he's quite up to using the internet just yet.
We woke up early, refreshed from our early nights sleep. We then boarded a mini-van that took us to the bus depot where we joined other keen tourists to travel to the famous floating markets. It was a wonderful day. First we stopped at a coconut sugar factory (for want of a better word) where we tasted the sugar, and saw how it was made. The place was pretty cool, they had siamese fighting fish that you could aggravate, and a funky tourist shop. However the highlight of that stopover was the toilets. Firstly you lined up and paid your 8 baht and recieved your 3 sheets of toilet paper. Next you went in and accomplished the task, in nice european style toilets which were perfectly cleaned and serviced after each person, then used the nice perfumed soap and finally stepping out of the little hut, you received two tissues to wipe your hands on.

We boarded the bus and headed towards the floating markets. To get there, we embarked on long boats and were driven around the canals that were in place instead of streets to faciliate in the separation of plantations. On our way to the markets we
The longtial boatThe longtial boatThe longtial boat

On our way to the markets, fresh air, nice breeze and shade, what more could you ask for?
kept overtaking cute little boats full of goodies that were being rowed towards the market place. Once at the floating markets you had the choice to either hire a boat or walk around on foot. The stalls were numerous and as well as being on boats, there were also stalls set above the water, level with the walk-way, on the edge of the walkway, and undercover in a huge open shed-like structure. Not enough time there to discover everything, because we were soon shuffled back on to the bus. Next stop, the woodcarvers shop, where they were doing awesome huge carvings of everything from elephants, to forests, to buddha's. Following the woodcarvers, we drove to the Rose Gardens, which of course had no roses, as the cheerful tourist guide told us at least half a dozen times, amused at his own cleverness. Following a western/easter buffet lunch we walked to the afternoons entertainments which consisted of the elephants show, and a production of 'a year in a traditional thai village'. Both were awesome, and it's just a pity this website can't do videos. The elephants were so cute, and yes mum, I know, we got to ride an elephant.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Woodcarvers anonymousWoodcarvers anonymous
Woodcarvers anonymous

This is a really bad picture of what they were doing, but it really was quite spectacular, sometimes they had three or four people on the one carving!!
Elephant RideElephant Ride
Elephant Ride

We paid about two bucks for our ride on the elephant, and as far as mum was concerned it was money well spent. tick that one off the list for her.


Tot: 0.131s; Tpl: 0.024s; cc: 8; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0454s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb