The Royal Palace and The Temple of the Emerald Buddha! Finally got to see it!


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
December 21st 2013
Published: December 24th 2013
Edit Blog Post

This morning I set off really early and got the bus into town. I visited the Grand Palace and The Temple of the Emerald Buddha. I didn’t go with a guide but I found a group of Israeli tourists and listened to the English speaking tour guide for this temple. I’m fascinated by the Royal family of Thailand as there are pictures of the king everywhere and he is really respected. The thais love their king as much as the British love their queen and it is not difficult to understand why.



n the first nine photos I walked towards the Grand Palace and took photos of important buildings along the way. Most of them were government buildings and a few were shrines.

On the entrance to the temples there is a mural tapestry which depicts the monkeys and devils. The gold temple in the photo is taken inside the Grand Palace. It is made of gold and was made in Italy. It houses the ashes of Buddha inside.

There is also the model of Angor Wat. The real Angor Wat is in Cambodia and is seven of the world….. It was made for the Thai people to pray as not everybody could visit the Angor Wat in Cambodia.

I also took some photos of The Golden Stupor – King Rama I put the ashes of his parents in the temple. Outside it has statues of monkeys and demons.

There is also the Royal Temple. Only the Royal family are allowed to have ceremonies here. The Crown Prince has to change the costume of the Emerald Buddha, It is made of gold and is very heavy. It is usually the king’s duty to do this but the King is ageing so now the Crown Prince does his job.

The last few photos are of the Grand Palace and its grounds, and most of the cannons outside the Palace are from England


Additional photos below
Photos: 39, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.414s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 7; qc: 51; dbt: 0.1022s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb