Muay Thai !!


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
June 13th 2006
Published: June 14th 2006
Edit Blog Post

The national sport of Thailand is 'Muay Thai' (also known as 'Thai Kickboxing' or 'Art of the Eight Limbs') and is the Thai name for an indigenous form of martial art practiced in several southeast Asian countries including Cambodia (where it is 'Pradal Serey'), Myanmar (where it is generally known as 'Lethwei'), Vietnam (where it is known as 'Vo Tu Do'), and Malaysia (where it is known as 'Tomoi').

Traditional Muay Thai has a long history in Thailand as a martial art used by the military. The military style of Muay Thai is called 'Lerdrit', while today's "Sport Muay Thai" slightly varies from the original art and uses kicks and punches in a ring and with gloves similar to those used in western boxing. Muay Thai is refered to as 'The Science of Eight Limbs', as the hands, feet, elbows, and knees are all used extensively in this art. A master practitioner of Muay Thai thus has the ability to execute strikes using eight "points of contact," as opposed to "two points" (fists) in boxing and "four points" (fists, feet) used in the primarily sport-oriented forms of martial arts. Muay Thai is an especially versatile, brutal, straightforward martial art.
Muay ThaiMuay ThaiMuay Thai

Lumpini Boxing Stadium

My expectations of Muay Thai, were of a derelict warehouse in the backstreets of Bangkok. Inside, two men with missing teeth and blood spattered bare knuckles fight until one is almost dead, encircled by shifty looking Thai blokes frantically shouting and waving fistfuls of currency purposefully in the air. Maybe I have seen one too many Jean Claude van Damme films !!

...Or maybe not ! 'Lumpini Boxing Stadium' is not that far removed from the image I had in my head. Admittedly there was nobody waving wads of Baht in the air, and there was actually a proper ring, but other than that the setting was suitably shabby, with a really dingy feel to the third class area that I bought a ticket for. This just gave it more atmosphere, and it was great to see the crowds of people baying for blood (myself included). We weren't dissapointed either! The matches were violent enough to keep me happy, with a series of brutal knockdowns in most of the bouts.

Muay Thai certainly beats Sumo for excitement, some of the guys fighting were launching flying kicks across the ring and incredible spinning punches, and all unleashed a pounding array of knees and elbows to the body and head. I've got a great little video on my camera of one bloke leaping into the air, and smashing the opponent over the head with his fist, dropping him like a sack of potatoes!!

All in all, a fantastic evenings entertainment, despite the price (3rd B1000, 2nd B1500, ringside B2000). The most annoying thing is that these are 'farang' (foriegner) prices, if you are Thai you only pay B200, B500 or B700, thieving bastards !!


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Muay ThaiMuay Thai
Muay Thai

They do a little dance before they fight in this sport too...
Muay ThaiMuay Thai
Muay Thai

This is either a super-fireball Muay Thai special move, or someones camera flash...
Muay ThaiMuay Thai
Muay Thai

It's Batman!!
Muay ThaiMuay Thai
Muay Thai

KERRRPOW!!
Muay ThaiMuay Thai
Muay Thai

Take that, pink shorts man!


Tot: 0.151s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 16; qc: 72; dbt: 0.0812s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb