Inside a plastic bag for Songkran: Images from a long walk through Bangkok


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
April 17th 2011
Published: April 17th 2011
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
The market for ash face paintThe market for ash face paintThe market for ash face paint

Entrance to Khao San Road
If you have never been to the Thai water festival called Songkran, celebrating their New Year, you might not realize how important plastic is. Paper and cloth will not do. Only plastic!! It is quite difficult to stay dry for the three day holiday unless you plan on locking yourself inside during its entirety.

Having played (yes 'played' as they like to say) in many Songkran festivals during the last few years, I decided to go and try to shoot some of it. I went the low tech route and stuck my camera in an ice bag from 7-Eleven. I figured what the hell....let's see what happens. I saw a lot of people with much more sophisticated equipment out there. And undoubtedly they got much clearer images. All I can say is that I got something different but certainly far from clear. The lack of clarity in the images was a bit disappointing but I will let you judge for yourself the overall effect.

My good friend Evi from Chile was in Bangkok so I decided to take her a walk through Bangkok and the various neighborhoods where the water festival was at its height. It was good way for her to see the city when it wasn't crowded or polluted with traffic, noise and bad air (because many people leave the city during the Songkran holiday). Not surprisingly, some of the most interesting people and places were at the in-between spaces. However, the hot spots were certainly full of action. We started at Khao San Road (backpacker heaven) and made our way to RCA (the young people's nightspot)......Silom, Sukumwit Road and Thong Lo were in-between. All-in-all we probably walked over 20km. Most surprising was the weather, it was cloudy and cool; weather this perfect for walking I have never seen during this time of year in Thailand. Songkran usually heralds the beginning of summertime here.

For good measure, I spent the last day of Songkran with a few good friends on the outskirts of Bangkok in true Thai style, in the back of a pickup truck. (Phuttamonthon Sai 4 area) Unfortunately, I got very few pictures here because the scene was wild. Water stations with firehouses refilling large buckets, motorcycles whizzing around, loud music combined with lightly clothed girls, people of all ages involved in the action, a ladyboy brigade showing off, pickup trucks bumper-to-bumper for miles and miles, ashen painted faces, and an atmosphere of festivity that was sublimely electric; I wish I had filmed it.

Postscript: In case you were wondering why the Thai New Year is different. It springs from the fact that many Thais still come from rural backgrounds and the rice growing season and the rainy season (both start around the same time) will be starting soon. About a month or so from now, the first rice crop of the year will be grown and in the case of many, the only rice crop of the year. It is also a holiday much like Christmas, Thanksgiving or even summer holiday in that families gather together this time of year. Many who come from rural backgrounds that work in Bangkok and other cities return home during this long holiday to share in common traditions with their families. For many, this is the only extended holiday they get all year and the only chance to go home, especially if they are working in the cities.



Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Soi CowboySoi Cowboy
Soi Cowboy

Red light district
Thong LoThong Lo
Thong Lo

Quiet but not completely dead
Still dirty but peaceful canalsStill dirty but peaceful canals
Still dirty but peaceful canals

I have never seen the canals this quiet and with no boat traffic
RCARCA
RCA

Crowded and very very commercial
The last stopThe last stop
The last stop

Girls with squirt guns trying to pull customers into a bar just across from RCA.
The next dayThe next day
The next day

The water festival along a suburban highway......an amazing experience...but alas limited photos :(


22nd April 2011
No plastic bag for this one!

e.lab.u@hotmail.com
i love it!!!!!!!!!
2nd May 2011

Songran water festival
What a pleasure to see what this festival is like, even through a plastic bag. Glad to learn it was cloudy and cool for the festival this year. Amazing that Bangkok empties out for this water-soaked event--the placid canal is esp. telling.
14th June 2011

PET Preforms
It was a awe-inspiring post and it has a significant meaning and thanks for sharing the information.Would love to read your next post too...... Thanks Regards PET Preforms

Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0311s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb