Quick stop in Bangkok...


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
April 12th 2011
Published: April 12th 2011
Edit Blog Post

And we're off...6.45pm arrived on 7th April and Sarah and I were egar to jump in the car and get to the airport, check in and have a burger king (a treat we had been dreaming about for months). Dad and Caroline dropped us at the airport where Sarah and I were told we wouldn't be sitting together, but after a batting of the eyelids and threatening to cry, the man at the desk 'put in a call'and hey presto! We said goodbye to Dad and Caroline and raced through to departures bellies rumbling, only to find out there is no Burger King at terminal 3, and unless you want Oysters or Chez Gerrard just before taking off, there is not much available for us poor travellers-disaster! The flight was fantastic, a little bumpy, but we slept well and were treated like Queens by the most amazing Australian Queens...Quantas has gone up in my estimations!
Arrived in Bangkok on Friday afternoon Thailand time feeling very sleepy and disorientated, jumped on the shuttle bus, which is a very reasonable 150B (£3) straight to Khao San Road and arrived an hour or so later. We checked in to a little guest house called Sawasdee just off the Khao San with a discount of 15% thanks to the bus tickets-Ace! Feeling extremely tired and sweaty we had a wander, grabbed some street food and a drink and called it a night.
After a good nights rest, Sarah and I woke up early to have breakfast at the hostel (included in the price) and headed off down the road to be tourists. We went to the Grand Palace and Wot Po (the reclining Buddah). Wat Po was by far my favourite and only 50B (£1) entry. After a day of walking around in what seemed to be a million degree heat, we headed back to Khao San Road, had a wonder, crashed for an hour and then headed out for dinner. We opted for street food, which was a great idea. We had the most delicious chicken noodle soup for only 30B!! After dinner we headed back to Khao San for a few beers, the cheapest way is to get them at 7-11 and then sit at one of the tables outside...it seems to be popular with the locals too....and then the heavens opened and the road went in to chaos. Sarah and I were the only people sensible enough (either that-or middle aged enough) to have raincoats, so we continued to sit there and drink our beers watching the rain-delightful.



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



12th April 2011

Great start dude, like the style - loved the picture of Sarah the Buddha. Looking forward to the next installment from Cambodia. Enjoy the adventure & by the way you aren't tourist - you are now full blown travellers!!! Sorry about the Burger King - maybe we can treat you to one in Bali. D & C xx
12th April 2011

Dinner for 30p - that is my kind of place!!

Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 15; qc: 19; dbt: 0.0224s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb