Welcome Warmth in Bangkok


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
February 24th 2011
Published: February 24th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Friends and Family,

Dave and I landed safely in Bangkok, Thailand last night at 11:30pm or so after 25 hours of travel from Portland, Oregon. We flew Korean Air and WOW, would I recommend them! Unbelievably kind and gracious flight attendants, good food, comfortable roomy seats, it felt like first class while being in coach!
My aunt Riki generously met us at the airport and brought us by 'limo' taxi back to her home in the North Western part of the city where she lives with her husband, Yik. We feel such gratitude for having the luxury of arriving and being whisked away hassle-free in a hot foreign country in the middle of the night by a sweet and familiar person. We are resting and relaxing today, reading guidebooks and literature about both Thailand and India so hopefully we can better appreciate the land, culture and people while here.

Tomorrow we will brave the public transportation by boat, water taxi, buses and Tuk Tuk (small 3-wheel open motorized carts) and head into downtown Bangkok to explore and visit our favorite haunts from our last trip here in 2008. Our last trip was inspired both by a desire to travel and experience Thailand, but also because of the phenomenally inexpensive and high quality dental work that is available here. So we are back for more. This time, we could both fly here, get the necessary dental work (Dave needs a dental implant), and travel around for a couple months all for the price of JUST the dental implant even with his Aquarium insurance in the states! So since we had to spend the money, and we have the time, and we both love to travel, voila! Thailand it is!

We hope to head to India if we can acquire visas for the country while here in Thailand, and spend about 2 months there. We'll keep you updated on that possible trajectory.

As an update on our recent lives:
Since January Heather and Dave have spent time in Denver, Colorado with her uncle Roger and Aunt Nancy for Christmas and New Years, then back to Arizona to pack up our belongings and explore Sedona/Prescott area before Heather flew to Washington and spent two weeks alone on Whidbey Island and Dave headed into some solitude time in the Eastern Arizona Desert at a friend's rustic cabin. I, Heather then took the train to Eugene and sat in on some classes and checked out the Eugene Waldorf Teacher Training program for a few days. Then I headed to Monterey/Santa Cruz and spent a couple days there before converging in San Francisco with my mum and sister for some mother-daughter-sister quality time. We then rented a van and headed to Monterey once more and in a couple hours loaded up mum's belongings that I had put in storage for her at a dear friends house. We headed to Davis, CA where Katrina used to live and work, then onto Mt. Shasta where we were greeted with 5 or so inches of fresh snow in the morning and white-out road conditions for a portion of our way to Eugene where we met up with Dave and spent three days because mum and I got head colds and mum's became quite severe. Then we all said goodbye as they continued North to home, Calgary, Alberta and Dave and I packed our things in one day and stayed with family in Portland Monday night before flying Tuesday the 22nd to here.

Dave will tell you more of his story in an upcoming post!

No photos yet, but we will be taking some and posting them along the way.

Hope you all are thriving and can follow us on our journey on this blog,

Much love,

Heather & Dave



Advertisement



24th February 2011

Blessings
Dear sweet Heather and Dave! Imagining your long journey, and your being on another continent so soon after having shared that hotel suite in Eugene... it's kind of dizzying! Today is the first day I've felt truly better - and some of my familiar energy is coming back. We got home late Tuesday night, after a kind of hellish drive (this time the snow was for real, and most of the way home). We stopped at the gallery for a peek at the renos (what a transformation!) and got home after midnight... It was a lovely time together, wasn't it! I'm unpacking now, and coming across the mementos... Looking forward to next time we see each other, already! I hope you have an enjoyable time visiting your "old haunts", and that the dental surgery procedure goes well, Dave! I love you both! Karen JOY/MOM
25th February 2011

Travel happy and safe
Have wonderful travels you two, what a blessing to have these oppertunitys. Be well, we love you guys. Reta, Aimee, & William
26th February 2011

Delightful! :D
Thank you for sharing your adventures -- sounds like a wonderful whirlwind and an awesome opportunity to explore and play and be your bright selves.

Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0513s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb