More Bangkok...


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
January 28th 2011
Published: January 28th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Merit makingMerit makingMerit making

Wat Pho, Bangkok
Although it was tempting to laze around enjoying the Sheraton all day we decided to spend the morning out and about. We once again jumped aboard the Chao Phraya Express (the only way to get around Bangkok when you're staying on the river!) and headed to Wat Pho, one of Bangkok's most famous temples and home to a massive gold reclining Buddha. The place was packed with tourists wandering around the immense form of the 46 metre long Buddha and snapping photos from every angle. It was very impressive.
We then walked a few blocks into one of Bangkok's oldest districts to track down a famous local restaurant called Chote Chitr. The small, slightly ramshackle place has been run by the same family for generations and has been reviewed by everyone from The New York Times to the Weekend Australian. We were the only ones there at lunch time so were a bit cautious, but once the food arrived we realised what all the fuss was about. The standout was the spicy banana flower salad which I am still dreaming about. We all ate well for about $12.
On the way back to the boat pier we wandered through the Amulet
Reclining BuddhaReclining BuddhaReclining Buddha

Wat Pho, Bangkok
Market, which is a rambling maze of alleys beside the river full of vendors selling buddhist amulets traditionally worn around the neck by Thais to bring good luck and protection from bad spirits. Temple Todd bought himself a really cool old amulet and nice beaded chain so he is now fully protected!
After working up a sweat during our outing it was once again time to hit the pool. Water Girl (Phoebe) led the way and no one could have wiped the grin off her face while she was in that pool!
Between her and Buffet Boy (Jasper...the breakfast king who works himself into a frenzy when around a hotel buffet) we have definitely enjoyed our Bangkok break and are well rested to tackle the final part of our trip.
After a final whizz around the shops we spent the last afternoon by the pool again before heading to Hualamphong Station (Bangkok's central train station) to hop aboard train number 85 heading south to Surat Thani. We booked a 2nd class aircon sleeper which was great. When we first boarded the train we sat in a set of 4 seats facing each other and across the aisle from each other. We played a game of cards and Todd and I sipped on some Thai whisky (as the locals do!) then when it was time for bed the attendant came down the aisle and flipped the seats into 2 sets of bunk beds complete with fresh clean sheets and blankets. (And reading lights!) We trundled off through the countryside and fell asleep to the rocking rythym of the train, while I dreamt about a screenplay I'm going to write which is the story of 2 children who are kidnapped while sleeping on a train in Thailand!
We arrived safely the next morning and while we looked forward to exploring the South, of course had to decide on our Bangkok favourites....

Favourite attraction/activity:
Todd : Amulet Market / Bike tour
Anya : Bike tour
Jasper : Bike tour
Phoebe : Bike tour

Favourite food:
Todd : Mee Krob (Crispy noodles with sweet dressing) from Chote Chitr
Anya: Spicy Banana Flower Salad from Chote Chitr
Jasper : Breakfast buffet at the Sheraton
Phoebe : Fried Chicken with Sticky Rice from street vendor near the river


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Bit of luxury on the Choa PhrayaBit of luxury on the Choa Phraya
Bit of luxury on the Choa Phraya

The Sheraton shuttle boat
Goodbye Sheraton poolGoodbye Sheraton pool
Goodbye Sheraton pool

One last afternoon by the pool before we head off to the train station.
Night trainNight train
Night train

Getting ready to board the overnight train heading south to Surat Thani.


Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0457s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb