Life is like riding a bike, you can only keep your balance if you keep moving


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
January 23rd 2011
Published: January 23rd 2011
Edit Blog Post

I'm feeling somewhat pressured now to make this blog live up to expectations, I've considered giving up and retiring on a high but decided it would be unfair to you all... soo some good news and a bit of concerning news.... the good news is all the Mosquito's in Thailand are full! Thank god! and I am still a nice pale/pasty colour not the red lobster colour we were all dreading!!.... however.... I have started sleep talking / walking again... which when you're in Thailand lying in bed (sting and I have been sharing a "double") can be somewhat scary...especially when whilst sleeping I shout out "oh my fucking god what is that?!!!" which made stingray leap out of bed naturally concerned for our safety....I have also had a conversation with jenwade (who has taken to sleeping at the end of the bed the last 2 nights) just generally asking how she is before stingray pats me on the shoulder and tells me to go back to sleep! we've moved hotels today, I hope she finds the new one ok tonight...

our new "place" cost 290 baht which is about 6 pounds (they don't have a pound sign on this keyboard so have to write it out) its a twin room, so no more bed sharing (which i'm quite happy about as sting is on her period!!!) ...quite looking forward to leaving Bangkok tomo, it's nice but I'm quite looking forward to a beach somewhere quiet to chill out for a few days.

yesterday we went to the worlds biggest market (it might not ACTUALLY be THE biggest but it was big) where you can literally buy anything, apparently (sting says) there are 15,000 stalls! we walked a lot of the way, Stingray who is actually the best map reader in the world ever (she might not ACTUALLY be THE best but she's alright) directed us, we had the usual thing of tuk tuks but you could say we're seasoned travellers now (i think its my golden tan and stings dreadlocks) and now we just ignore them. Walking is actually quite good fun once you get over the fact that your sweating ridiculous amounts! it means you get to see places you'd never normally go to, like the Thailand national stadium!! we kinda stumbled upon it and decided to take a look - the security guard was asleep so we thought we'd make the most of our unexpected visit and go inside... we took a few photos and tried to figure out if thailand had ever hosted the olympic games.... we decided they haven't.... we also found THE biggest Tesco in the world, but you know it might not ACTUALLY be.....

we got the sky train there which was really good as we got to see Bangkok...from the sky....which is different.... the market was amazing, slightly claustrophobic and pretty crazy! we attempted bartering, which we were terrible at (we probably ended up paying more than the asking price!) but picked up some cheap clothes for our trip to the Ko Chang tomorrow... also had some octopus from a market stall, which was probably the worst octopus I've ever tasted....

after we'd come back from the market sting got her map out and we had a look around some of the areas we'd never really been to before, I suppose in England you might call it the red light district... literally just woman sat at the side of a road on stools waiting! ...which was inconvenient as I was really tired and kinda needed to sit down....

after that adventure we went and sat in a car park (not at all connected to the above!!!).......and had a few beers... then began our rather long walk back - and I think it was at this point that we both realised that tuk tuk drivers are NEVER around when you actually want one...


ps - I now have 2 K's, Kiren and Ken (the friendly pigeon who sits on our window sill every morning looking for a mate) ....sting has none....


Advertisement



Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0555s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb