Bangkok Update


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
March 12th 2006
Published: March 12th 2006
Edit Blog Post

All American BoyAll American BoyAll American Boy

Max's "costume" for his school's International Day. This picture was taken in his classroom.
Hi there:

I know it has been a long time since our last blog. Since our last trip to Chiang Mai in January with Eric, Stacey and Gigi, we have not ventured outside of Bangkok, and so have not been taking as many photos. But, although we continue our every day life here, that is not to say that it has been dull. Anything but!

Some of the highlights over the last month or so:

1) I got to meet Senator Russ Feingold from Wisconsin when he came to visit the US Embassy in Bangkok for the first time. Unfortunately, I met him in a secured area so could not take pictures, but it was cool to speak with him for 10 minutes or so with only a few other people. Of course, I asked him questions about U.S. immigration policy (he is pro-immigrant) and told him that it would be good if the number of H-1B visas could be increased. He really is a good guy and a very hard worker. The Embassy personnel told me that he is one of the only Congressional visitors who actually wanted to work during the whole visit and not sightsee.
American TableAmerican TableAmerican Table

Me and two other American volunteers. Note the Ellis Island poster in the back - it's mine!


2) I am handling my first immigration case referral as an independent contractor. An E (investor) visa for a Thai restaurant. Basically, I'm doing an inquiry on behalf of an immigration lawyer in the U.S. who wants someone local in Bangkok to help him out.

3) Some friends of my parents, Cec and Don, visited and I got to see them for a day on their way back from Laos, Cambodia and Northern Thailand. They are in their 80s, yet still manage to travel all over the place. Something we should all strive for! I have posted a photo of them here.

4) Max has been doing great in school. Last week, they had an International Day, which I volunteered to help with (for the USA table). It was a lot of fun and I post some photos of that here as well.

5) We are getting comfortable driving around Bangkok and are going all over the place in our car.

We are hoping this coming weekend to go to the beach at Hua Hin, a charming sea side town about 2.5 hours drive from Bangkok where the royal family likes to take a holiday.
ParadeParadeParade

Max's school did a parade where all the kids wore their countries' costumes. It was very cute.
I'm trying to book a cheap last minute deal at Asiarooms.com at a nice resort. Other travel plans - Jim may be going to Bangladesh (Dhaka) for work this month, though if he goes, Max and I will stay behind; Jim is coming back to the US for training in May for about a week and will be in the DC area. Max and I won't be coming with him for that either, but of course we will all be returning together in July. We are also hoping to arrange a trip to Luang Prabang in Laos before heading back this Summer, but will keep you posted on that. Luang Prabang is supposed to be a charming laid back town in the mountains and is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

Anyway, that's all for now. Hopefully more to come soon!

Best,

Maddy


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Max with his TeacherMax with his Teacher
Max with his Teacher

Max is holding hands with his teacher, Ms. Marie, who is from Belgium.
Israeli TableIsraeli Table
Israeli Table

The Israeli Table was right next to ours. Great falafel!
Enjoying CupcakesEnjoying Cupcakes
Enjoying Cupcakes

Max and some of his classmates enjoyed the cupcakes and cornbread at the USA table.
Thai tableThai table
Thai table

Of course, the Thai table at the International Day was the most elaborate and brought their own live musicians and dancers.
School PlaygroundSchool Playground
School Playground

Max having fun after the International Day event.
Cec, Don, Maddy and MaxCec, Don, Maddy and Max
Cec, Don, Maddy and Max

Taken on our living room couch. Can you believe Cec and Don are in their 80s?


13th March 2006

Non subject
Dear Maddy, It is lovely to see All American boy, smart, confident, handsome and nice smile. I really want to talk to him and already feel fun of doing this. It was a surprise to see Cec with you though I knew her trip to that part of the world. Spring comes here and the wheather is lovely. With love. Song Li

Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0618s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb