Not Quite Eastenders


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
October 16th 2009
Published: November 5th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Floating markets used to be a way of life along Thai canals, the only way to deliver goods was by boat and several floating ‘shops’ would be set up for selling any produce. The locals would travel by canoe to the market, make their purchase and then row back home. Now with increased roads and people moving away from the canals, floating markets are just tourist attractions. There are a couple around Thonburi which operate on Saturday and Sunday mornings, but the most famous and the one you will see in all the photographs is Damnoen Saduak.

A day trip to Damnoen Saduak is quite common with tourists. Leaving at around 6am you will see the market in full flow (it runs from 7am to midday). As usual though I decided to make my own way there by bus. Unfortunately I got the times wrong so the market was actually over by the time I arrived. I was still able to hire a boat to travel around the canals. The area that holds the market was still accessible and a few tourist stands were still there to sell their merchandise. Although I missed the experience of the fully operational market, the boat trip was scenic and relaxing which made it all worthwhile.

Generally doing day trips under your own steam works out much more cost effective, but with the floating market this is not the case. Chartering a private boat is quite expensive whereas going as part of a tour the boat it chartered for you and shared amongst all the people on the tour. There is also the fact that going on an organise tour means you will experience the full market. Although I usually prefer the challenge of organising the transport myself , for once I would actually recommend going with a group.



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0531s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb