First Day!


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
July 14th 2009
Published: July 16th 2009
Edit Blog Post

We woke at 3.45am and said our goodbyes, got a lift with (Dan’s) Dad to Heathrow got there early and checked in. Bit of an issue straight away in that our seats were not next to each other! Luckily a nice guy agreed to swap seats with us so we could sit together.
First flight was 9.5 hours long but watching films helped it pass by fairly quickly.
The plane was hit by the worst turbulence just before landing in Mumbai, felt like our heads were going to hit the ceiling a couple of times. We got there safe and sound and after a bit of chaos, orchestrated by some Indian security officials with scary machine guns, we were all searched and ushered through to the departure gate where we boarded just as we got there. It was 1.10am Mumbai time and was still 28°C! Gave us a taste of what to expect in Thailand.
Next flight Mumbai to Bangkok was 4.5 hours. Seemed to really drag but touched down at 7am ish Thailand time.
Got our Rucksacks and headed for a taxi, ended up getting in a bright pink one and after a 45 minute journey it cost about 5-6 quid.
Ended up at the wrong reception desk at the hotel so we were driven by a bell boy to the correct reception desk in a golf cart! Hotel is huge and amazing, far to posh for us!

We had a much needed nap and then strolled around the local area, was very hot and humid but not unbearable, the hotel is right in between the business district and the old town (where most backpackers head) and as such there are not really any westerners in the area outside our hotel, just loads of little Thai bike repair shops and markets that the Thai people use. Thai people are amazed by Dan’s hair, everyone we walk past has something to say about it.
Went back to hotel and went to use the pool.
Stopped into the pool barbecue/bar on the way back to our room for some munch and as it was happy hour (buy one get one free) a few cocktails too!

Then headed back up to our room to get some sleep before a full day and night in this mental city!
Havn't taken many photos yet but here are a couple of the view from our room. (27th floor).

Advertisement



16th July 2009

27th floor! not bad, have you used your executive suite facilities yet?!
16th July 2009

OMG!!
Hi guys. Thanks for the first installment! Dad / Richard said about the not so great start with the plane seating arrangements but hey, what a sweet guy for swapping seats!! Glad the longer journey passed quickly. What an introduction to India! Machine guns....mmm, ...not too welcoming!! Like the comment about the Thai's liking Dan's hair!! Bet there have plenty comments on that and that word has travelled around the whole of Thailand. People will be flocking to your hotel to catch a glimpse!! Stunning views from your hotel room.....keep the piccies coming in, take care of yourselves, blog soon xx
18th July 2009

Sounds fantastic!
Glad you've arrived OK and that everything sounds fantastic. XX

Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0417s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb