Bastard Rain


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
November 28th 2005
Published: December 14th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Hello there!! Am writing this from Bangkok, bit of a jump i know!!

We arrived in Penang after the sleeper train which was awful! It went at break neck speeds and was really loud! I got about 2 hours broken sleep and i got bittten by something as well (prob mosquitoes but not sure!). It was actually quite exciting though and we got to Butterworth at 5.35am which was horrid! We then got the ferry over to Penang and a taxi to a hotel we had found the previous day! It was right next to the beach, just as the sun was rising. Although it was cloudy so couldn't really tell! To be fair, we didn't really do anything at Penang, apart from having a good sleep and eating. We went to Batu Ferringhi ( think that;s how you spell it) and went to the night market and bought a fake Fendi purse whichi love but am saving for best! We also agreed to get a bus from there to Krabi an Thailand. It was more expensive than the train but it was supposed to be quicker and we thought it would be less hassle! The second day of weather
The Beach on PenangThe Beach on PenangThe Beach on Penang

Our first day of sun yey!!
at Peneng was beautiful and also I saw my first crab that came out of a hole in in the sand on the beach! How exciting!!!

On the 23rd we got the bus to Krabi which wasn't too bad, (we saw monkeys at the immigration stop in Thailand) until we got to Hat Yai where we had to change buses. Before that we'd had quite a bit of space and on this bus we were all completely cramed together! There were also Canadians on the bus and we had to keep stopping to either pick people up or drop packages off (hmmm) and so it took forever!

When we got to Krabi it was starting to get dark and so we had some tea by the water front which was really cheap and really nice; 30 baht for a prawn dinner with rice and 50 baht for a large bottle of local beer and so the whole meal came to about 1.1o, bargain!!! We found a guest house which is like a hostel but not shared rro,s! There was no aircon and we had to share a bathroom and shower so it was very different from where we
Few Drinks in KrabiFew Drinks in KrabiFew Drinks in Krabi

Our first proper taste of the lethal Chang Beer!!!
had been staying before . There was also no top sheet. WE had some beers that night and a general mooch around. Krabi seemed quite nice although there didn't seem to be much to do there, and not very busy. I'm not sure if that was becuase it wasn't peak season yet or because it is quite small.

The next day we got the 1 and a half hour ferry to Ko Phi Phi which is an island off Krabi. The ferry seemed to take forever and there was no organisation in getting the rucksacks off at the end. We met Leyla there and Magu which was wickerd! We hadn't seen her for almost six months but i was very good and didn't cry! They took us to where they had stayed the previous night which we were very grateful for but it wasn't very nice! There was two double beds in the one room so we all had to share and the bathroom was also a bit minging! We had inteded to move but lazyness and inertia meant that we ended up staying there for the full four nights which was horrid!

Anyway! The first night in
Leyls and MaguLeyls and MaguLeyls and Magu

Outside the rom of hell in Koh Phi Phi
Phi Phi we went to few bars including Hippies where there was a beach party but it was raining! We still watched the fire show which was good, but they were playing techno, or rather a cd with techno on, the dj was pretending and wasn't wearing any head phones!! So we moved down to a abr which was wicked and Magua nd Heggy got there cd's and did some mixing! But then a dutch guy attacked this woman and so we left and went home! What a mare honestly, trouble seems to follow us around!!

The second day it pissed it down and so we didn't do anything apart from being miserable and wet! Oh no sorry we went to watch some Thai boxing at nght whcih was really good! It was ametuers and i didn't think I'd like it cus i don't like English boxing but it was different. We saw two KO's which I'd never seen before either.

The third day started off sunny and so we rented a boat and went snorkeling of the second smaller island whcih is Phi Phi Don! WE went to where they filmed The Beach and it was gorgeous!
The Fire ShowThe Fire ShowThe Fire Show

I know you can't really tell what it is but thnk of techno music and I'm sure you'll get the jist!!
There were laods of beautiful fish in the second bay we went to but where we got to the third place where they actually filmed the beach it started to chuck it down! Our boatman got completley dreched! We went into the sea still as it was still quite warm but our time was running out so we had to go anyway! That was Friday i think, the 24th. I can't remember what we did that night, oh just us four girsl went out which was quite amusing!! We ended up back at a beach party but it was Techno again, which will always inevitably give you a headache and so we left soonish! Not before though each of us girls had gone up to the Dj ( the one who pretends) and asked him if he had any Take That! HE wasn't impressed! I guess he found it offensive against his fake Djing! We got one other person to try doing it as well but there were a lot of Europeans there and they don't seem to have the British sense of humour!!

The last day we didn't really do anything, it was raining again! We went out at night though and i think i was dehydrated as i was bit confused and also felt like I was a bit drunk! We went to that first bar again but we had some hassle so we left, again! The boys had been djing again and when our good music stopped apprently everyone started to leave!! We then went to another bar but it was soo tacky! The place where we had the trouble was what i imagined it to be like; on the beach, good music and people just chilling out! This other place was full of Americans and Europeans wasted, fighting and dancing really slutty! We saw two fights whilst we there! I was felling very strange by this time and everyone was tired anyway so we left! That night i had proper weired dreams and was generally really confused! I kept Hannah awake all night oops! And the ceiling started to leak in the morning whcih woke everyone up! The room was so damp that the sheets were wet and everyones clothes smelt funny. We were also getting bit to death, especilly Lauren, even though we all wore mosquitoe spray and burned a smelly coil too!

In the morning we checked out and got the ferry to Phuket where we stayed a night. THe guest house was lovely and the people really nice! It was kind of out in the sticks a bit and when we went to use the interent, all the men watching the football in the bar next door turend round and looked really gobsmacked! It was really funny but then i don't think they understood why i was laughing! We ate at a lovely fish restaraunt too but we didn't understand the prices and so ended up paying far more than what we'd wanted too!

This morning we got a plane to bangok whcih is where I'm writing from now! The girls have gone to find a hotel and I'm jsut sitting writing this, playing my role as bag wathcer! Although people keep hovering near by and its making me nervous!

So far i love Thailand, the people are really friendly and it looks beautiful! It seems cleaner than malaysia and the people seem more freindly! We spoke to some other people who have been to Malaysia and they have not had a problem so i think it was just
The Infamous BucketThe Infamous BucketThe Infamous Bucket

Traditionally, this is filled with a quart of Thai whiskey, ice, coke and a bottle of Red Bull. One of these bottles is about 25 times the strength of a can of English Red Bull!! And here the whole thing costs usually just under 3 pounds!!
us! To be fair though, we have looked a state some days so maybe that was why! I didn't really like Phi Phi as it seemed far too comercial! In the four days that we were there more guest houses were built and i can see that in a year it will be completely unrecognisable! IT seems to be turning into a techno version of Ibiza for Europeans (by this I'm exculding Britain and Ireland) and Americans!There's drinking games and stuff which isn't what i enjoy! Its such a shame as the island itself is stunning and if i were from there originally I'd be really cross that it was being spoilt. But its Thai people who seem to be developing it not westerners and i guess everyone has to make a living. My initial impression of Bangkok is that i love it! Very busy, lots happening but i've only been here for an hour so that might all change!

Phew, sorry its been a long one for all those people with short attention spans, I'll try not to leave it so late next time! There are some pictures on the way (including at least one of Leyla for
On The Boat to Phi Phi LayOn The Boat to Phi Phi LayOn The Boat to Phi Phi Lay

Please note the sun is shining!
Pat!!) and I'm sorry that I've been a but rubbish replying to emails etc! I'm getting there but it was twice the price on Phi Phi as it is here to use the internet so I've been waiting for us to move!1 Hope everyones ok and you're all surviving the cold winter! Let me know what you're all up to! I have had a few moments of home sickness, but then we found somewhere that does an English cup of tea and so that passed! Take care!!

xxxxxxx

Ooh here is a map of where I've been so far!

http://www.travelblog.org/gmaps/map_qW.html and there here is a map of the coutries I've vistited so far!

Visited Countries Map



Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

An Inhabited CaveAn Inhabited Cave
An Inhabited Cave

Yes the sea actually was that colour!
Where the Beach was filmedWhere the Beach was filmed
Where the Beach was filmed

Notice, the sun isn't shining here, what a surprise!!
SawadeekaaSawadeekaa
Sawadeekaa

Me With Good Old Ronald
Koh San Road At NightKoh San Road At Night
Koh San Road At Night

This has come out darker than i hoped!!
Koh San Road By DayKoh San Road By Day
Koh San Road By Day

Don't be fooled by how calm and peaceful this looks, it wasn't!!!


Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0483s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb