Thailand - Bangkok


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
April 2nd 2008
Published: April 15th 2008
Edit Blog Post

BangkokBangkokBangkok

Heather in front of Buddhist temple area.
We laughed when first arriving here in Thailand....the pilot said the temperature was 86F! It was funny because just less than a week prior we were non-stop shivering up at High Camp, wanting desperately to get warm and dreaming of our arrival in Thailand. Well, here we are and we sure are sweating! As most of you know, Ben and I don't "thrive" in the hot, humid weather but we are actually doing pretty well. Our health has returned as well, and we are so grateful to be feeling well again.

Bangkok is another big city...full of lots of people, cars, and buildings. We arrived in the evening to our inn in the Sukhumvit neighborhood, a more modern area of the city. It's a great place to stay, tucked away in a side alley off the main street. The next day was spent just relaxing and making our final arrangements (purchasing train tickets, arranging for hotel and transfers, etc.) for our 2-week island getaway in southern Thailand. We are very excited to get to the beach!

The next day was spent exploring the city. We enjoyed walking through packed street markets filled with everything imaginable to buy and lots
BangkokBangkokBangkok

Gold and shimmering figurine at Buddhist temple.
of interesting food choices. By the looks of some of it, my excitement to try some authentic Thai food declined rapidly! Anywho, it was ineresting nonetheless. We also journeyed to see some of the most famous temples here in Thailand: one that housed the emerald Buddha and another that housed the largest reclining Buddha in the world. The first one was also within the Thai Royal Palace area, which was filled with incredible architectural buildings--lots of glitter and gold...beautiful. We decided we had seen enough for the day, so we retreated to the air-conditioned mall in our neighborhood to enjoy fresh mango smoothies and a bit of internet! At least we found where we can cool-off!

It's been a great city to explore but we're ready to move on....


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

BangkokBangkok
Bangkok

Side view of Buddhist temple...very detailed and ornate.
BangkokBangkok
Bangkok

Bonsai tree within temple area. The plants and grounds were beautiful.
BangkokBangkok
Bangkok

Ben standing among side temples at one of the Buddhist temples.
BangkokBangkok
Bangkok

Heather standing in front of the enormous reclining Buddha (46m long, 15m high).
BangkokBangkok
Bangkok

Mother-of-pearl inlay on the bottom of the reclining Buddha's feet.


Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0424s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb