Bangkok Part Deux


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
November 30th 2007
Published: December 10th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We took a taxi to the Thailand border of Poipet, again the roads were dreadful, then got a bus ride back to Bangkok. It felt good to be back almost felt like we was going home and strange to think how much we'd seen since the last time we were here. Kho San Road didn't feel half as intimidating as it did on the day we'd arrived almost 3 months before.

Spent 4 days back in Bangkok, most of the that was shopping on Kho San Road (some great bargains to be had and a chance to top up my mobile wardrobe).We also did a boat tour which took us past all the slums and floating villages, on the same day when walking back to our guesthouse we came across a park where parachutists were landing, there were loads of military, armed police etc there, but we were invited into the park by the first security guy we came across. As we walked hesistantly into the park we were getting more and more strange stares as if too say what on earth are you doing here. It wasn't until we spotted the king of Thailand sitting on his throne being filmed a mere ten yards from us that we thought maybe we shouldn't be here. At that point we were asked to leave the park. The Thais absolutely worship the King so much so that on his birthday nowhere serves alcohol. So to get this close to him was a strange experince.

Had some good night out in our time back here, our nightly spot was the roof top bar where a duet performed al the classic acoustic hits. Bumped into a few people who we'd met on our travels as most were heading down to the islands from here. On our last night here spent a good 40 mins sitting on Kho San Road with a group of thais singing along to one of them busting out some tunes on his guiitar, it was great fun but the poilce intervened at around 1am, much to my disgust.

Time to say goodbye to Bangkok and hit the islands....



Advertisement



Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 12; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0599s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb