Day trips from Bangkok


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
November 19th 2007
Published: November 19th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Floating Market: Early one morning we headed to Bangkok’s largest floating market which was located in a small village on the city outskirts. Instead of roads this village had canals. Ashley spent the 20 min boat ride to the market trying to prevent the brown water from splashing on her after she was informed that the random pipes leading from houses into the water were sewage pipes. She was even more horrified when she saw people washing their dishes and laundry in the water, right next to the pipes!
Driving up the canal and into the market was an amazing site. There were boats, people and animals everywhere. The hundreds of wooden boats were selling anything from local handicrafts, to fruits, vegetables, and hot food. It was fascinating to watch vendors cook over tiny little fires in the middle of their boats.
Perhaps one of the biggest surprises of the morning was when a woman grabbed Ashley and shoved her fingers in Ashley’s mouth. At first, with the surprise of it all, Ashley didn’t realize that the women had dropped something on her tongue. It turned out to be Langsat, a sweet-sour tasting fruit.

Cobra Show: This was perhaps the
Doing the housework!Doing the housework!Doing the housework!

Not only is this waterway used for transportation but it is also where they cook, clean and use the toilet...talk about multi-purpose!
scariest thing we have done so far as there is a complete disregard for safety. The stage consisted of a mat surrounded by chairs; there was nothing to protect us from the king cobras that often came flying towards us as part of the snake charmers act. I think we would have felt a little better if he didn’t keep on dropping the snake and all other employees weren’t sitting so far away...hmmm, I wonder why! After the show we had the chance to hold a boa constrictor, Ashley enthusiastically agreed to do this, however as the snake began to go up Ashley’s pants and tighten around her leg she began to regret doing this as the snake charmer was to absorbed in conversation to realise what was happening.

Tiger Temple: This is an area of land where a bunch of monks took in tigers and have created a tiger sanctuary. They care for and feed the tigers well, apparently that is why we are able to walk amongst them and pet them without being attacked. I dunno about that, it was still pretty scary!



Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

You'll find anything here...You'll find anything here...
You'll find anything here...

..from food, to hats, clothes and toilet paper. Which is like gold to us here, as hardly any toilets have it.
Straight from the coconut!Straight from the coconut!
Straight from the coconut!

Not as good as you'd think
Get Em!Get Em!
Get Em!

Proof that a mongoose can kill a snake
Watch Out!Watch Out!
Watch Out!

This is the snake kept slipping out of his hands in mid swing.
One in each hand and one in the mouth!One in each hand and one in the mouth!
One in each hand and one in the mouth!

...and only after being bitten.
Katchanaburi, Japaneese POW CampsKatchanaburi, Japaneese POW Camps
Katchanaburi, Japaneese POW Camps

We ate our lunch at this floating restaurant.
Ashley also wants a pet tiger!Ashley also wants a pet tiger!
Ashley also wants a pet tiger!

Sounds like she will be coming home with the whole arc
The cubs were running around freeThe cubs were running around free
The cubs were running around free

and this young monk was in charge of our safety


22nd November 2007

You both tell the story of your trip sooo well. It is really great to see you trying everything that is a reflection of where you are...even when it is crazy : ) It must be sureal to experience what most people only see on TV, or in books. We truly are living vicariously through you...Great job guys. xoxox
2nd December 2007

I'm SO jealous!!! it looks like you guys are having such an amazing time!! loving the photos and reading everything you're doing... you've got some guts ash... eating those insects? gah! can't wait to see you when you get back x
5th December 2007

OMG!!!
Holy #@%# you holding snakes and petting lions.....

Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.044s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0208s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb