Schools out!


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
September 22nd 2007
Published: September 22nd 2007
Edit Blog Post



So, on 21st September the semester 1 ended at Nantawan school, and we finished our contract. After 4 1/2 months of teaching, playing, shouting and learning we finished our first teaching experience. It was fun and challenging and rewarding and hard work. But ultimately when we had to say goodbye to the children we have spent the last few months with, it was a tearful farewell. We will really miss them, and miss out on seeing them grow up.

So as a tribute to our time at Nantawan school, in true Big Brother style, here are their best bits:




Additional photos below
Photos: 33, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Kris, Kate and some of our friends...Kris, Kate and some of our friends...
Kris, Kate and some of our friends...

our Thai co-teachers, Ta and Kon, with some of Grades 1P and 1A: from left to right - Ken, Pong, Sun, Steve, Pok, Sia, Kingthong, Mandy and Lily.
Kris likes to spin a spinner on Ken's headKris likes to spin a spinner on Ken's head
Kris likes to spin a spinner on Ken's head

it reminds him of Doraemon, the cat-like robot. Do you have him in the UK?
Kate being sat on by some of her Grade 1 classKate being sat on by some of her Grade 1 class
Kate being sat on by some of her Grade 1 class

Chien Chien, Lily, Mook (squashing me), Sun, Fing, Patrick and Max (pulling a face)
Kris being sat on by his classKris being sat on by his class
Kris being sat on by his class

Pong, Pooh, Eddie, Fancon, Rico, Ken, Ling-Ling, Li-aang and Ryan.
Lisa and Birth from Grade 3Lisa and Birth from Grade 3
Lisa and Birth from Grade 3

when we first met Birth, we thought his name was Bert because they can't pronounce their 'th's. But no, it's Birth. Another of the odd choices of names for kids here. Everyone has a proper name and a nickname. The kids nicknames in our school are apparantly "English names". As you will see, some of them are abit strange. Don't worry though, its not for life, they change them through their lives. Fing in Grade 1 used to be called Olympic last year.
Rebecka from Grade 3Rebecka from Grade 3
Rebecka from Grade 3

She really is this grumpy in real life. And speaking of strange names, her Thai name is Rebecka, her English name is Namfon!
Ryan and Fancon from Grade 1Ryan and Fancon from Grade 1
Ryan and Fancon from Grade 1

How cool is Ryan's hat? It spins and everything. Ryan is from American (well his Dad is) and tells you that at every available opportunity. He once introduced himself as Ryan the Lion for a game, which was funny because he can't say his 'r's so it came out "Lyon the Lion". It stuck and now even the other Teachers call him that!
Kris and MandyKris and Mandy
Kris and Mandy

one of his favourite students. I think they were having a discussion on the state of the world today. Or something.
Nice and Pop from Grade 3Nice and Pop from Grade 3
Nice and Pop from Grade 3

check out those dungarees.
Sia and KingthongSia and Kingthong
Sia and Kingthong

from Kris's Grade 1 class, Thai dancing on Mother's Day. It took them 2 hours to get dressed up like that. And they were wearing gold knickers, they showed us in class!
Kate and Chien ChienKate and Chien Chien
Kate and Chien Chien

on Mother's Day. In Thailand Mother's Day is the Queen's Birthday, 10th August. I had to pretend to be the mum of all the kids whose parents didn't come to the ceremony.
Diana decorating her pizzaDiana decorating her pizza
Diana decorating her pizza

looks cute now, but I had to eat it!
Grade 1 boys playingGrade 1 boys playing
Grade 1 boys playing

Ken, Pooh, Fancon, Ryan and Steve. Kris actually, told them to pick Ryan up and cook him, and then the headteacher came over and told them off for messing about. Kris is always getting people into trouble!
Kris and FanconKris and Fancon
Kris and Fancon

rubbing heads in the traditional Korean way - so he says. Fancon is Korean. Jibeom is his Korean-Thai name, Fancon is his English name!!
fishing in the canal behind the school during science weekfishing in the canal behind the school during science week
fishing in the canal behind the school during science week

there are 6 ft monitor lizards in that canal. Luckily we only caught small fish and snails. Mainly snails, they don't swim away.


Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0315s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb