Bangkockins!


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
April 27th 2007
Published: April 27th 2007
Edit Blog Post

It felt strange coming back to Bangkok after six weeks away. Its not often you get a base on a trip like ours so it was homely to check back into the Asha Guesthouse. It seemed a good choice as it is quiet and out of town and we just wanted to chill for a day before friends from home Matt and Sarah arrive for a two week holiday.

We weren't off to the best start when delays in Oman meant Matt and Sarah arrived a few hours late. It was very exciting to see people from home after such a long time. We quickly introduced them to two important facets of Thailand - the beer and the food. Fed and watered, we headed to Chatuchak Weekend Market. It was huge and you need a determined shopping frame of mind to buy anything so we didn't last there too long.

After this it was time for a serious upgrade. As a belated celebration for Paul's birthday we were booked into the Royal Orchid Sheraton Hotel right on the river. Our room was very posh, especially in contrast to what we're now used to. And we had an amazing river view which meant we slept with our curtains open both nights to soak it all in. There was a brilliant pool with an in pool bar, so despite the near continual rain we got our monies worth from these facilities.

We generally spent our few days in Bangkok splurging in the style of two young careers kids on a two week holiday! On the first night we had cocktails in The Oriental, apparently the poshest hotel in Bangkok, and ate dinner at a good restaurant called the Mango Tree.

Before long, we were finding that four heads trying to decide what to do and where to go is even worse than two! We couldn't make a single decision without a lot of procrastination and some inevitable 'cockins' (general faffing). On our second day in the city we did manage to see the huge Reclining Buddha in the Wat Pho and visit the Khao San Road but that was pretty much the extent of our sightseeing. We weren't allowed in to a few places without trousers and shirts. Our cockins was further compounded by some guy masquerading as an official telling us that everything was closed today, grabbing our map, marking up other things to do and then hailing us a tuk tuk all in 30 seconds flat. Luckily Paul's 'scam alert' was on full power and we quickly escaped. Usually these scams will take you to a jewellery or suit shop and pressure you to buy.

Our cockins ability was proved in full force on the last night. After much discussion, we had decided to go the Banyan Tree - another posh cocktail bar. We ended up sitting in traffic for nearly an hour before one of us finally made a decision to abort and catch the tube. On arrival at our destination, monsoon style rains caused us to dash in the wrong direction and completely miss the Banyan Tree. We ended up diving into a margie bar (the margerita - our old friend from San Diego!). From there we decided we would still try and find our planned asian fushion restuarant - Eat Me. More rain, more cockins and we made it there only to find it wasn't really asian fushion but overpriced western weird food that none of us faniced. Dashing in the rain again we happened upon Naj which was a real find. Here you could try all sorts of traditional Thai foods and they also bought goodies like Thai wine and mini starters to your table and gave us great smelling jasmine garlands when we left.

We had certainly fart arsed our way around Bangkok but we weren't worried as we had had plenty of time to catch up with Matt and Sarah and soak up the selubrious surroundings of the Sheraton. Having carefully honed our decision making skills (we'll see!) we are off to fly south and hit some of Thailands famous beaches. Can't wait!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0472s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb